SportsCenter votes "1984" commercial number 4 of all Superbowl commercials EVER!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

SC Top 10: Super Bowl Commercials

Each Saturday morning, the SportsCenter Top 10 will be revealed during the 10 a.m. ET show. This week's list is the Top 10 Super Bowl commercials:

10. Visa Check Card: An unlikely pairing of two sports icons -- Yao Ming and Yogi Berra -- who both unsuccessfully try to make purchases with a check.

9. Budweiser Frogs: Debuted in Super Bowl 29, the frogs have appeared in at least one spot in five consecutive Super Bowls.

8. E-trade's Dancing Monkey: Two old men sitting in chairs say "We just wasted 2 million dollars, what are you doing with your money?"

7. Pepsi: R & B legend Ray Charles, together with eye-friendly background singers, inform America of Diet Pepsi's secret ingredient "uh huh".

6. Budweiser: The Wazzup Guys became a national phenomonon during Super Bowl 34.

5. Master Lock: Beginning in 1974, Master Lock ran at least one spot in 23 consecutive Super Bowls, with it's lasting image of a padlock being hit with a bullet, but staying locked.

4. Apple: Only aired one time, but had perhaps the most impact on Super Bowl advertising. Apple produced this Orwellian vision of "1984" for Super Bowl 18 -- in 1984 -- to launch it's Macintosh line. It's impact made watching the ads an event almost on par with the actual game.

3. Bud Light: Beginning in Super Bowl 23, Bud Bowl, a simulated game using animated beer bottles, became a national obsession. Pitting Bud Light against it's archrival Budweiser, the two brands battled it out for almost a decade, updating the game at the end of every quarter of the actual game.

2. McDonalds: Larry Bird and Michael Jordan hit the hardwood in a game of one-ups-man-ship for lunch at McDonalds.

1. Coke: The heartwarming ad featuring Steelers Hall of Famer Mean Joe Greene, first airing in Super Bowl 14. Greene gets a Coke from a young fan after a tough game, and in exchange gives the young fan his game jersey.

number four of all superbowl commercials... awwww yeeeaaaa

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Though some of the votes they cast were absolutely ridiculous (Bud Bowl my ass... everyone I know rolled their eyes at those commercials and in NO WAY should be considered a more clever or influencial ad than Apple's), but it's pretty cool we go into the Top 5 anyway. Hell, Bud Bowl is by far the WORST ad that Bud made. The Frogs were better, the Wazzup was better and even the "True" commercials are a lot better.

ESPN voted that one because they themselves were involved. Lame.

Hopefully this year's ad will be somewhat humorous and not just "By Pepsi, get free songggggs! Woohoo!"
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    "...national obsession..."

I'm fairly okay with the rest of the list, although the Masterlock ads shouldn't be on there.

But I'm with Moogs: The Bud Bowls were the lamest, most overhyped commercials EVAR!

Jeff
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

"...national obsession..."

I'm fairly okay with the rest of the list, although the Masterlock ads shouldn't be on there.

But I'm with Moogs: The Bud Bowls were the lamest, most overhyped commercials EVAR!

Jeff

yah i agree with all your points but think that the McDonnalds ads suck
  • Reply 4 of 14
    You're from Massachusetts and you dare to dis a Bird commercial? Sacralidge!

I pretty much worship Bird, but even if I didn't I thought the horse games were pretty clever.

Jeff
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

You're from Massachusetts and you dare to dis a Bird commercial? Sacralidge!

I pretty much worship Bird, but even if I didn't I thought the horse games were pretty clever.

Jeff

i never got to expirence bird...i'm 14 so i only hear stories
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Were the Bud Bowls the commercials with the Clydesdales? I liked the ones where they are playing football.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Were the Bud Bowls the commercials with the Clydesdales? I liked the ones where they are playing football.

No, those were 100X cooler. Bud Bowls were animated teams of bottles with helmets playing football.

Does it sound bad? It was much, much worse!

Jeff
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

no it was animated beer bottles playing their own super bowl...budlite and budweiser
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

i never got to expirence bird...i'm 14 so i only hear stories

Okay , kid, you're off the hook this time!

Jeff
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Notice that the top 3 votes all have some sort of sports in them or related to them. I wouldn't expect otherwise from a SPORTS NETWORK voting for the best Superbowl ad.

In the general ad industry, however, the 1984 ad is widely considered the best ad EVAR!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    a single commercial that had life redefining impact for 20 years, people still remember it and IT WAS SEEN JUST ONCE. apple mac commercial. the rest never had the least impact on MY LIFE, it also changed an entire industry including MS. the mac made many lives better for what matters, our interface with technology. coke commercial makes you feel warm and fuzzy not life changing and what industry influence???who cares about frogs anymore.

i saw this commercial first hand, i remember the experience and it changed my life, it was deeply profound in the context of the time and that everyone was required to read 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 because we all were sensitive to the concept of "big brother" and technology controlling mankind not releasing us from techs burdens

commercials are to be remembered and to sell product, just like plop plop fizz fizz. It will be studied for generations as how to develope a commercial for IMPACT.

rate by life, and industry impact....only one APPLE MAC 1984
  • Reply 12 of 14
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    TERRY TATE IS THE MAN, best commerical ever.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Those are hilarious! I haven't laughed at commercials like that for a long time.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

which commercial is this?