one of my usb ports won't connect to reader

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I use a kodak 6/1 card reader/iBook 933 g4 10.3. the usb port closest to the head phone jack won't read it (the reader light doesn't come on), the other one works just fine and puts it's icon on the desktop. tested both with a keyboard light and the light works with both usb ports

Is there another way to test this? Is there a diagnostic check function with 10.3. or could it be the reader?

also, i thought usb was hot swappable, when i just pull out the device plug, i get a message "you did not disconnect device properly, go to finder and eject the device before removing it" am i hurting it if i just unplug it or do i have to go through the finder and eject it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    This should probably be in "Genius Bar", but anyways, go to your Apple System Profiler (Applications>Utilities) and check if it's showing up under "Devices and Volumes" - USB information.

If it is then you could have a problem with that specific USB port.

Hot swappable means you don't have to "power down" your computer before connecting or dis-connecting the device, that's all.

Generally most all USB card readers will show up on your desktop as a "drive" or disc icon which requires you to "eject" it when finished (drag the icon to the trash before disconnecting).

If you don't do this you will have some problems re-connecting the device.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    system profiler

hardware>usb

under usb device tree

bluetooth

usb bus

usb bus

usb high speed bus
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    MiMac is correct, a USB card reader will show up on your computer as a mounted drive. You need to "eject" it before pulling the device out of your USB port. I have lost cards full of pictures because I forgot to eject before removing the drive (lucky for me I had already put them on my computer!). Same goes for any removable media/hd. ALWAYS eject before unplugging the drive or you risk data loss/corruption.