Noticed all these new trolls

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I noticed lately that there are a bunch more new members posting lots of crap. It's getting annoying, I mean sometimes its funny reading their idiot posts but someone telling us about Apple hardware that will blow us away and later telling us that he would show you but he doesn't believe in pictures is just stupid... it wastes time.. anyway, there is noting anybody can do about it.. just wanted to share

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I think its because a load of PC users came to gander at AI when the gutted-G5 controversy broke... Just like loads of us went over to overclocking.com etc to see what they were saying. I didn't come across equivalent posts over there though...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    what if you couldn't start a thread 'til you had 50 posts? that'd eliminate all the wankers who troll, lose privileges, then change their screen-name and come back and troll some more.

maybe this idea has been brought up before.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

what if you couldn't start a thread 'til you had 50 posts? that'd eliminate all the wankers who troll, lose privileges, then change their screen-name and come back and troll some more.

maybe this idea has been brought up before.

I mean, if you wanted to troll, putting up 50 posts of

wouldn't take very long
  • Reply 4 of 15
    it'd take some work, but it would prohibit the returning troll with new names. but also it would help new users get a feel for things before they first started posting new threads.

lately in addition ton trolls, i've notice many innocent new a/i'ers starting threads they wouldn't have started if they had a better "lay of the land" as it were.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

but also it would help new users get a feel for things before they first started posting new threads.

lately in addition ton trolls, i've notice many innocent new a/i'ers starting threads they wouldn't have started if they had a better "lay of the land" as it were.

I agree with you there
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

what if you couldn't start a thread 'til you had 50 posts?...

Quote:

...lately in addition ton trolls, i've notice many innocent new a/i'ers starting threads they wouldn't have started if they had a better "lay of the land" as it were.

Maybe. But 50 is a bit much. 10 would be more like it. But even that might be an unfair barrier. Many browse the site for months/years, not posting a thing, yet are very knowledgeable about Macs and how the board works. It would be silly if they suddenly had to make a rash of posts to be able to post a new topic on one thing that really interested them.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Sylvanus has a point, as does everyone else here. But I believe the majority of people who register here are the ones who have just stumbled across AI and want to get involved. However, a lot of those people's first post is in GB, they have a question about their computer. Can we leave them with a broken computer while they somehow fire off 50 posts so they can post their question? I'm gonna have to say no to the idea of a pre determined number of posts to be able to post a new thread. Of course, it would cut down on the crap that newbies post, but would also create a whole new world of problems. And thats why we have the best mods in the business here, they deal with the crap really well so we don't have to wade through it.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Can we just kill them while they sleep?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

I noticed lately that there are a bunch more new members posting lots of crap. It's getting annoying, I mean sometimes its funny reading their idiot posts but someone telling us about Apple hardware that will blow us away and later telling us that he would show you but he doesn't believe in pictures is just stupid... it wastes time.. anyway, there is noting anybody can do about it.. just wanted to share

We are aware...***sharpening my sword***
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Don't worry, folks. We've got things under control. The banning admin panel has been smokin' hot over the past few days.

Quote:

it'd take some work, but it would prohibit the returning troll with new names. but also it would help new users get a feel for things before they first started posting new threads.

This cannot work. A lot of people would never *be* at AppleInsider if they couldn't post new threads as new members. Think of the people seeking technical support or purchasing advice or the rare soul that actually has "inside" information. What good does it do these folks to post for over a week (and most people *don't* post as much as 10 times a day) before they can discuss what's on their mind? Why bother waiting around here when they can go elsewhere?

No, that simply can't be. The admins and moderators here enough power to sufficiently restrain the trolls when they get out of control. I haven't seen any events recently where the trolls have gotten so out of control as to require more stringent restrictions.

Quote:

True, but that can be forgiven. For the same reason above, I cannot agree to just blocking new users from posting their questions and thoughts. We can move around threads just fine as people learn the way out site works.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Exactly. Don't punish the many for the isolated, shitheaded behavior of the few.

Just lower the hammer HARD on those not playing by the rules. Everything else tends to take care of itself once the idiots and pot-stirrers are removed.

At AI, as in life...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Don't worry, folks. We've got things under control. The banning admin panel has been smokin' hot over the past few days.

This cannot work. A lot of people would never *be* at AppleInsider if they couldn't post new threads as new members. Think of the people seeking technical support or purchasing advice or the rare soul that actually has "inside" information. What good does it do these folks to post for over a week (and most people *don't* post as much as 10 times a day) before they can discuss what's on their mind? Why bother waiting around here when they can go elsewhere?

yeah you're right.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I think it has pretty calm around here. There was a time this place was totally out of control. Long before most of u were here.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I've been here 4 years, so... (ugh! Man...)

Seen a few blackouts, some deserving goons get banned, some hellacious threads, people being good, idiots being bad, people abusing their positions of authority, some great people, etc.

And through it all, I STILL don't get ShawnPatrick. Ever.

• Reply 15 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The worst I've seen was actually the day I first became a mod, along with a bunch of other new recruits. There was a serious invasion of the boards that very day.

It took a long time for Mark and Goatie to convince us that they hadn't arranged that as a trial by fire.