My OS is gone....HELP!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Some days you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you. Today the bear is dining on fricassee of Chester. Sigh.

OK I don't think my OS is actually gone but it's definitely not talking to me. The story so far......

Two days ago, went to shut down eMac -> BSD. What the? Restart seems to go normally with OS X loading but then nothing but BSD.

With hesitation, I'll tell you it was running 10.2.8 (yes I know, I was a bit out of the loop at the time OK). Repair attempts thus far:

fsck - problems (overlapped extent files whatever they are) but no amount of fscking with fsck would fix it.

Repairing permissions didn't turn up anything unusual and did nothing.

Techtool found major probs with the volume structure (those overlapping extent files again). Throwing caution to the wind, Chester lets Techtool do it's thing. Reports problems fixed but the Mac is still blue (so is Chester by now).

Now that I'm in the realm of nothing left to lose, I run Norton DD. Fear and loathing. Major problems. System something or other is incorrect, signature is wrong. Yes I know I should have written it down but I didn't so can we just move on. Anyway, it still doesn't fix anything.

I think I already know what I've got to do but before I reinstall am I likely to be able to get stuff from the eMac onto PB in target mode. I don't even know if that's the question I want to ask. Let's just say there's some stuff on the eMac I'd let to get at ASAP if possible.

Oh f**k it. Someone just tell me what to do. All my dumb luck with computers has abandoned me at a most inopportune time. Thanks. You know I appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Do an Archive and Install of OSX. It'll preserve your Home folder and network settings, but erase the System folder.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Do an Archive and Install of OSX. It'll preserve your Home folder and network settings, but erase the System folder.

OK. Can I do this with a Panther install (ie. upgrade the OS at the same time) to release from 10.2.8 hell?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Yes you can do an Archive Install with Panther.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    This happened once on an eMac at school. Turned out the drive was bad. I don't want to worry you or anything, but just a heads up; if the problem occurs again after an Archive and Install, you might need to replace the drive.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    get disk warrior and never use norton again
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

get disk warrior and never use norton again

Read these words 200 times and live by them.

Norton and Mac OS X is a dangerous mix. Norton is notorious for actually causing various problems on Mac OS X. I wouldn't wish OS X Norton on even my worst enemies.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Read these words 200 times and live by them.

Norton and Mac OS X is a dangerous mix. Norton is notorious for actually causing various problems on Mac OS X. I wouldn't wish OS X Norton on even my worst enemies.

I know that. That's why haven't used it since I bought it about 2 days before everybody starting saying that Norton is crap. Norton didn't cause it. That was a desperation move.

But still, lecture deserved. Received. (Not as bad as expected.)

Anyway, it's back.