terminal (some blowing news)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
folks,

just in case nobody knows about this mighty feature. I found out today, that if you open a shell and you press ESC at least for 3 seconds, the following occurs: Display all 867 possibilities? (y or n) . hit "y" and there you bloody go

if you know already, than please skip this message and forgive me. my humble heart would be very well suited

have a nice day

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Hmm, mine says "Display all 1185 possibilities?" What's wrong with your computer. Tab a couple times at the prompt and you'll get the same thing.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Hmm, mine says "Display all 1185 possibilities?" What's wrong with your computer. Tab a couple times at the prompt and you'll get the same thing.

Different 10.3.x OS versions, IIRC.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    BTW, this is a product of the shell you're using (bash), not Terminal itself.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Sorry to shift topic but how do you send a message to another user on your network using the terminal. On our PC network I can use the "net send" command in DOS (eek) to have a message pop up on a users screen. Is there a unix equivalent?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sawtooth

Sorry to shift topic but how do you send a message to another user on your network using the terminal. On our PC network I can use the "net send" command in DOS (eek) to have a message pop up on a users screen. Is there a unix equivalent?

You really should post a new thread. That said, you can always use rendezvous messaging through iChat. If the other user isn't using OS X, I don't know how you would do it. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never needed to try.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I've never heard of an equivilant messanger service for unix. Probably as it would only go to the console and thats generally only a log file.

On older VMS machines you used to be able to copy a file to another VT on the same machine (handy when 500+users are on a single machine/cluster), it would just appear on screen and the recipient could do nothing. Ken your technical skills were inversely proportional to your marketing!

Dobby
  • Reply 7 of 14
    talk user@host

write user@host

In the terminal look at "man talk" (there's a joke there, somewhere) and "man write"
  • Reply 8 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Also try write to send something directly to his TTY.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Whoops edited my response before I saw yours.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    If that mac has GUI scripting installed, and you're logged in (ssh) you can do:

Code:

sudo osascript -e 'tell app "Finder" to activate' -e 'tell app "Finder"

to display dialog "Hello"'

you can even send a message to win boxes:

Code:

echo "hello" | smbclient -M NETBIOSNAME

(you'll need to know their netbios name)
  • Reply 11 of 14
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    The NETSEND command for windows is a new form of Spam. I recently formatted a friends HP laptop, and a few minutes after the first boot, he already got a spam notice like that. I know that was a little off-topic, but thought it might be worth a mention. On all the Windows boxes I deal with, one of the first things I do is disable windows messaging service.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

The NETSEND command for windows is a new form of Spam. I recently formatted a friends HP laptop, and a few minutes after the first boot, he already got a spam notice like that. I know that was a little off-topic, but thought it might be worth a mention. On all the Windows boxes I deal with, one of the first things I do is disable windows messaging service.

Oh you think it's disabled! Just wait a month or so, maybe it's when you update or something, but mine normally came back on after a while for no apparent reason. Windows messenger would always popup and you don't really close it because "it's in use".
  • Reply 13 of 14
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Oh you think it's disabled! Just wait a month or so, maybe it's when you update or something, but mine normally came back on after a while for no apparent reason. Windows messenger would always popup and you don't really close it because "it's in use".

Yeah I know about that stupid ass thing that MS does. I actually write down instructions for my friends on how to disable it, so after they do an update, they can disable it again.

What a aggravating concept.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Hmm, mine says "Display all 1185 possibilities?" What's wrong with your computer.

What Brad said. It is a bash feature and it displays you all the binaries it finds in the environment paths.