29.97Fps can covert to 24fps?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Do all DV Digital Camcorders record at 24fps, but write on the DV tape at 29.97. Can I use Telacine conversion on any DV camcorder to get the film back down to 24fps?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    basically all american dv cams shoot at 30 frames/second, which is the NTSC standard. The PAL standard, commonly used in places other than the US, is 24 frames/second. i dont think any cams record at 24 fps and write at 30fps--its either one or the other. in most editors, you must select which format to edit in before you start on the project, and some editors (in the US) wont even work with PAL cameras. i dont think you can truly convert 30>24 fps becuase your program is probably an NTSC prog.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I was watching the Quick tour section of Final Cut Pro 4, and It has a feature called advanced telecine, which takes the 29.97fps from the DV camera, and converts it back to the 24fps native.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ok. so go get fcp and your problem is solved.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I was watching the Quick tour section of Final Cut Pro 4, and It has a feature called advanced telecine, which takes the 29.97fps from the DV camera, and converts it back to the 24fps native.

That is something that I am going to look into as well. I wonder if it just doing a 3:2 pull-down or what.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

basically all american dv cams shoot at 30 frames/second, which is the NTSC standard. The PAL standard, commonly used in places other than the US, is 24 frames/second. i dont think any cams record at 24 fps and write at 30fps--its either one or the other. in most editors, you must select which format to edit in before you start on the project, and some editors (in the US) wont even work with PAL cameras. i dont think you can truly convert 30>24 fps becuase your program is probably an NTSC prog.

NTSC is 29.97 (as are most DV cameras)

PAL is 25 fps

Film is 24

HD is 23.98 or "24"

The Panasonic DVX 100 is a prosumer camera that is switchable from 29.97 to 59.98 to 24 and is the main reason people want FCP 4 to be able to do reverse telecine.