The "no mail" sound is terrible

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sends shivers through my ears and down my spine, what the hell is up with this terrible noise, how do I change it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    I think I've got used to it by now, but it tends to frighten people/cats/babies/farm animals who might be near by. I always feel bad if I have forgot to mute my iBook when I'm in a library and I'm checking my mail.

No idea how to change it though. I do like the sent mail sound, mind you.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Okay, this is likely to break things, so don't say I didn't warn you.

1) Make a copy of Mail.app

2) On the copy, ctrl-click on the Mail icon and choose 'Show Package Contents'

3) Go into the folders: Contents/Resources

4) The four files are 'Mail Fetch Error.aiff', 'Mail Sent.aiff', 'No Mail.aiff' and 'New Mail.aiff'. Replace any of them with another aiff sound file, named the same and it will get played instead.

5) Test your new Mail.app

6) If everything works, zip up your old Mail.app for safe keeping by ctrl-click and selecting 'Create Archive of Mail'.

7) Rename 'Mail copy' to 'Mail'
  • Reply 3 of 11
    umm woah. you can just go into prefs and change it. i have my own set of sounds that i created from imovie (or now you could use garageband).

just go into mail prefs and its right there.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    The only one it lets me change in prefs is the 'new mail' sound
  • Reply 5 of 11
    What the hell is it supposed to be...the sound of a mailbox door closing?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    How about just setting Mail to check your mailbox periodically on its own? It seems that the only time I hear the "No Mail" sound is when I press the button to check for new mail, and there doesn't happen to be any. But I'm on a cable modem and Mail is always running in the background checking on its own for me, so I never get that "No Mail" sound.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    yah, somebody SHOW that to me in the prefs because my Mom hates that "blonk" sound whenever she checks mail on her Panther machine.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Mail checks for new mail on its own at an interval you can specify in Preferences, and if there isn't any, the "No Mail" sound never plays. Why not wait for the mailman to arrive instead of opening the mailbox door every ten seconds?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

yah, somebody SHOW that to me in the prefs because my Mom hates that "blonk" sound whenever she checks mail on her Panther machine.

You can uncheck "play sounds for other mail actions" in the general section of mail preferences.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Which is exactly the same place where you can set whether you check for new e-mail manually or Mail checks for new messages for you on a schedule. Disabling the sounds for "other Mail actions" will prevent you from hearing any sound other than the New Mail sound. No whooshing jet when you send a message, no sound when Mail has trouble retrieving messages.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Yeah, I have set it to 1 minute, but I'm used to getting mail all the time(mostly junk) so it's kind of weird, this is a brand new email account and so far I haven't gotten any junk, I guess I'm just not used to not getting email all the time(I still haven't told many people my new email)

but, I still hate that friggin sound...\