PowerBook Evidence?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Found this one at Anandtech.

Quote:

Interestingly enough, it seems that there is somewhat of a shortage of M11 chips for a few of the OEMs and ODMs. This has led to the inability for many of them to ship out notebooks on their original timeline or in the large quantities originally intended. So basically, several of them have delayed their product announcement and shipment by a little over two weeks, or have cut down on the initial quantity. ATI has already responded to the large demand for its chips, so this is a very temporary issue that will only affect some of the launch partners for a few weeks.

There is one BIG notebook manufacturer that has not announced along side with ATI, but will do so and ship in approximately a week. We can't say more than that for the moment, but it is definitely a design win that ATI will be touting. We will cover more on it when the time comes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    It says not to expect it unless you're in Europe...so that blows that one.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    The 9700 in its first incarnation is an unlikely candidate to be used by Apple. It runs much faster (450Mhz vs. 250) than the last generation but since it is still produced on the 130nm process, it will run much hotter. This is a chip that will go into the "mobile desktop" 2.4Ghz P4 notebooks.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    The Powerbookzone's Mac Informant is supporting MacRumors.com's Page 2 rumor of a minor G4 speed bump. Hmm... how disappointing if true.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

The 9700 in its first incarnation is an unlikely candidate to be used by Apple. It runs much faster (450Mhz vs. 250) than the last generation but since it is still produced on the 130nm process, it will run much hotter. This is a chip that will go into the "mobile desktop" 2.4Ghz P4 notebooks.

Actually smircle, you need to do a little more reading...

About 9700 @ Tom's Hardware

The previous generation was clocked up to 350MHz, and the "new and improved" 130nm process offers enough power savings to cover the additional draw of 450MHz. So its faster, and doesn't use any more power. In fact, it has the potential to save laptop batteries, because the PowerPlay features finally work. You can set it so that when you're on battery power it throttles way back, and conserves energy, but when it's plugged in it's a beast.

so i think this would be the perfect GPU for Apple's flagship traveller...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Hmmm... It would make a nice G5 PowerBook GPU
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Ars Technica seems to think that this chip will be on a 110nm process and will run quite cool.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Ok, I will say that this is the chip that will be in the PowerBook G5's, coming soon!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Ok, I will say that this is the chip that will be in the PowerBook G5's, coming soon!

can't be soon enough for me
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by glumpi

There is one BIG notebook manufacturer that has not announced along side with ATI, but will do so and ship in approximately a week. We can't say more than that for the moment, but it is definitely a design win that ATI will be touting. We will cover more on it when the time comes.

This is interesting.Makes you wonder.Would he be so secretive

about this if it was just going to be in a Dell,Gateway,or Sony laptop.Come on,its just a graphics card that a whole list of other manufacturers have already announced they will be useing.Did ATI tell him something they werent allowed to reveal? What company do we know lives in the shadows like that? A design win that ATI will be touting? Does that sound like a lame G4 update? No. A G5 notebook? Absolutely!

I guess we will know in a week or so when that new Emachines notebook comes out.......................
  • Reply 10 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Among the obvious big notebook vendors who were not launch partners:

IBM.

Toshiba.

Dell.

Just throwing out a few possibilities here. The level of secrecy certainly implicates Apple, but there are other vendors to consider, and they might want to make a splash as well.

Of the above I consider Dell to be the least likely, simply because they're constantly churning out models with very little comment.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    There is nothing but Apple 8) You must be wrong... right? You mean there are other companies other than Apple? I thought they were the only computer company on this entire planet. Wait, is this a dell machine I am having to work on? No!!!!

Can you tell I am ready for the work day to be over?