iMac2 = Cube form factor PC/DVD/Stereo all-in-one

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am taking a wild guess - as to what the real digital hub will be.

Look at the shape of modern CD playing stereos. (for example at <a href="http://www.sony.com.ph/products/hifi/mini/mhc-zx70dvd.html"; target="_blank">this</a> or <a href="http://www.sony.com.ph/products/hifi/micro/cmt-f3md.html"; target="_blank">that</a> or from Sony)

Aren't those the shapes of a taller Cube? Now would you want to buy a Apple HiFi Stereo that plays CDs, iPod mp3s, DVD movies, burns DVDs and also acts as you next iMac G3 700? And wouldn't that the the ultimate digital hub bringing Apple back into the homes of the Average Joe? Movies, TV, music, games, net surfing and the occasional Word letter to your relatives in Alaska. You can have a 15" TFT "control pad" for it and you can also hook it up to your tv or a pc screen. Also ATI has the right <a href="http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/r8500dv.shtml"; target="_blank">baby</a> to fit with that idea perfectly.

It only struck me now, but it seems quite reasonable and also quite revolutionary, and all doable with technology that isn't as expensive.

Edit: Added ATI card info

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: xype ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    Nope.

And just how much would this thing be anyways?

Cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    4 easy payments of $499.99!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by MCQ:

<strong>4 easy payments of $499.99!</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're estimating a price of $2000? I say it's doable at less than 1200.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    [quote]Originally posted by xype:

<strong>Now would you want to buy a Apple HiFi Stereo that plays CDs, iPod mp3s, DVD movies, burns DVDs and also acts as you next iMac G3 700? And wouldn't that the the ultimate digital hub bringing Apple back into the homes of the Average Joe? Movies, TV, music, games, net surfing and the occasional Word letter to your relatives in Alaska. You can have a 15" TFT "control pad" for it and you can also hook it up to your tv or a pc screen. Also ATI has the right <a href="http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/r8500dv.shtml"; target="_blank">baby</a> to fit with that idea perfectly.

It only struck me now, but it seems quite reasonable and also quite revolutionary, and all doable with technology that isn't as expensive.

Edit: Added ATI card info

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: xype ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, so if I understand it correctly, it'll have some speaker set, a DVD burner, an AIW Radeon 8500, a G3/700. I'll assume the 15" Control display is a separate option.

Attempting to break down prices:

Speakers - $150

DVD-Burner - $450

AIW Radeon 8500 - $320

G3/700 - $120 (random guess)

Rest of hw components, i.e. hd, ram, keyboard/mouse (assuming this is functioning as a computer as well) - $200

That alone is $1240. I'm not necessarily saying $2000 (yeah that initial estimate was a bit high)... but definitely not less than $1200.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by MCQ:

<strong>

Attempting to break down prices:

Speakers - $150

DVD-Burner - $450

AIW Radeon 8500 - $320

G3/700 - $120 (random guess)

Rest of hw components, i.e. hd, ram, keyboard/mouse (assuming this is functioning as a computer as well) - $200

That alone is $1240. I'm not necessarily saying $2000 (yeah that initial estimate was a bit high)... but definitely not less than $1200.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The low end can be have a geforce2mx ($100), the speakers to be optional and a DVD player ($150) which brings the price down for about $500 or more. I guess it all depends on whether you go for the low end or high end specs.

I just tought it would make for a nice device fitting the digital hub strategy, I am sure Apple knows best how to spec it to keep profits up..
  • Reply 6 of 12
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Xype's link to the Radeon 8500 review turned up something interesting. It appears that the software that comes with the card is pretty "aquafied." Could the 8500 all-in-wonder be coming to the mac?

• Reply 7 of 12
    I especially like the idea of controlling the computer with the TV remote as described in the article. It does remind me of a digital hub kindamajig thing.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Why can't people let the cube die???
  • Reply 9 of 12
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>Why can't people let the cube die???</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because I want one
  • Reply 10 of 12
    The Radeon 8500DV would be sweet for Mac.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    The Radeon 8500DV would be sweet for Mac.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>Why can't people let the cube die???</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just tought of what could be doable with the cubes basic design, I'd actually rather have a prosumer minitower instead..