Need a second video card... [options]

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My current setup is the 800mz quicksilver with a ATI 7500 and a 3dfx voodoo 5 for a second monitor. this works fine in OS 9 but OS X hates the voodoo and does not want to boot. basically i'm looking for a relatively cheap solution to migrate my dual monitor setup to X. I would love to find a rage 128 but they are hard to come by. I've seen them on ebay but i'll be dambed if i'm going to pay as much as they are going there. at those prices you would be better off buying a new ATI 7000. i'm also considering getting an adc to vga adapter for the 7500 so i could run both monitors off the single card. any ideas?

-rws

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    Seems like you've already got your bases covered... If you just want a 2nd monitor for simple 2D you could always see if you can find a cheap ixmicro (I think that's how it's spelled) card from a 9600 or something. To my understanding they work well in X but do not have 3D accel.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The ADC to VGA adaptor from Dr.Bott costs around $35 bucks I believe.

Much cheaper than buying a card

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>The ADC to VGA adaptor from Dr.Bott costs around $35 bucks I believe.

Much cheaper than buying a card

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, that's kind of how i'm leaning. i'm going to try swaping out the voodoo 5 for a voodoo 3 (can't remember if i tried that yet) and see if X likes that any better. i can care less for 3d support, just need some place to hang all them damn pallets

-rws
  • Reply 4 of 6
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    ...i have a pci rage128 to sell you if you want it, perfect working condition, contact me at my email (look in my profile ), i accept paypal
  • Reply 5 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    just go with a cheap adc to VGA adaptor.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    r-ager-age Posts: 21member
    or Supercharge

<a href="http://ati.com/shopati/promotions/macg4/faq.html"; target="_blank">http://ati.com/shopati/promotions/macg4/faq.html</a>;

What is the "Supercharge your Power Mac G4" program all about?

"Supercharge your Power Mac G4" allows Apple Power Mac G4 owners to upgrade their existing systems that were supplied by Apple with an ATI RADEON? 7500 MAC EDITION or an nVIDIA GeForce 4 MX graphics card to the new high performance RADEON? 8500 MAC EDITION.