External FW HD problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
so, i have a LaCie external 160 GB hard drive...

I recently forgot to eject (unmount) the drive before pressing the physical power button on the drive, and i got an error message that came up, i didn't read it, but i assume it said something to the effect of "you ejected drive improperly etc.."

so yeah, now the drive won't mount. I open disk utility, and it shows up on the left, but the volume is grayed out. when i click verify (or repair) disk, under the first aid tab, i get an error, and this comes up: (an error sheet thing, pops down, but all it says is error:the underlying task reported failure on exit.) this is that comes up in the text box that shows what disk first aid is doing...

"Verifying volume ?1 Up?

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

The volume 1 Up needs to be repaired.

Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

1 volume checked

\t0 HFS volumes verified

\t1 volume failed verification"

So, i don't have norton, techtool, or diskwarrior.... is there anything i can do short of buying one of those that will fix this?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I'm surprised that just unmounting it improperly once hosed it that bad...that sucks \

If Disk Utility can't fix it then I suggest DiskWarrior. And if you are using 10.2.2 or higher you should enable journaling on your drive to make this easier to recover from in the future. Stay away from Norton...many people on here have warned against it, including the esteemed Brad. If DiskWarrior can't fix it than you might need to do data recovery if anything vital is on it. Anyone else have any ideas?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    just an update: i borrowed diskwarrior from a friend, and it fixed it. thanks!