I need to clean up my HD(advice for a clean mac)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I wager that I have at least 2 GB of erroneous, unused, and mostly worthless data on my HD.

my folders are cluttered, my desktop is cluttered, things aren't properly labeled...etc.

Usually I keep a pretty good computer, but OS X has gotten me kind of lazy. recently I went through and trashed about 1 GB of crud, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

This thread is for people to share their tips and input on the best ways to keep your HD clutter down.

Obviously different things will work differently for different people, but there are probably some things out there that I could do, that I don't.

So, what have you AI?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I used to be a little more lazy with things like this, but now I keep things pretty organized. I can't stand a messy desktop. Make sure everything gets put in its place as soon as it comes onto your machine. That is first and foremost. If you download a picture, drop it in your pictures folder, an application, it goes to Applications. It's a pretty simple thing, but works wonders. And you can never have too many folders if it helps keep you organized.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    use disktracker, and duplicate catcher (find both on VT), and use somehting like panther cache cleaner, or cocktail, or something to clean up extra crud, also you can use iClean from Aladdin
  • Reply 3 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Get Omnidisksweeper. It's a nice little utility from Omni Group that tells you have big folders/files are on your computer.