Miracle BEST MOVIE EVER

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For anybody unaware

I saw it tonight, and it gave me gooesbumps through the whole thing. What a game (I know it wasn't all accurate but it wasn't to terribly off the mark that it took away from anything) A friend of mine used to play hockey for Roseville (Neal Schinder) and his brother plays his dad in the movie. It was unreal, a great movie. It provides yet another reason why the Olympics suck now too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I might go see it tomorrow, glad you liked it. (Check out the time of this post)
  • Reply 2 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Herb Brooks was the man. I fully intend to see it as there is only one other good hockey movie in existence (Slap Shot). Although parts of Mystery Alaska were funny, the movie overall and the hockey parts in particular... blew.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    It was good, but it's far from the best movie ever.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Herb Brooks was the man. I fully intend to see it as there is only one other good hockey movie in existence (Slap Shot). Although parts of Mystery Alaska were funny, the movie overall and the hockey parts in particular... blew.

Come on! D2: The Mighty Ducks was great.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Yeah, I loved it. And I knew I was going to love it when I saw the opening sequence. Kurt Russel was dynamite, but I was really upset when

I found out the real Herb Brooks never saw the finished film.

But yeah, really cool film. Makes me want to learn how to skate and play hockey.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Nope, Backdraft is the best movie ever.

[Homer]MMMMMMMM....Fire fighters[/Homer]

8)
  • Reply 7 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    What is this movie about? Did the US qualify for the D pool of some big tournament?

• Reply 8 of 19
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Haven't seen it . . . but it looks like it will be your basic Rocky-On-Ice flic
  • Reply 9 of 19
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Haven't seen it . . . but it looks like it will be your basic Rocky-On-Ice flic

Only this time, it's true.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I remember watching this game with my family as it happened... it was just... unbelievable.

The Russian Olympic hockey team had utterly dominated the sport for decades. Imagine the Chicago Bulls at their height... for 30 years straight.

And then having some team that generally never did well beating them out of the blue, and taking the championship away from them.

This was *huge*.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Other than Jesse Owens winning Gold in front of Hitler and his youth, that one game in 1980 was possibly the single greatest event in American sports history.

Even people who couldn't care less about hockey, were moved by what they saw that day. Even the political ramifications weren't that important; it was about the spirit of competition, and big heart being more important than big names or big reputations. I was somewhat blessed as it was perhaps the first taste of real hockey that I ever had... and though I didn't start playing until years later, I never forgot the moment.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Saw it last night, great movie.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Some more stats I just heard...

The Russian Olympic hockey team had been unbeaten since **1968**.

Not just Olympic games... *ANY* games. They had beaten the NHL All-Stars the previous year. 6-0.

And they were beaten by a bunch of amateurs.

Unreal.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    They were a friggin machine out of everyone's hockey nightmares. Literally. You read up on their records and stats and all the rest and it reads like fiction almost. More dominant than the Canadiens or Yankees or any sports team ever was, basically. ...And a bunch of college boys from Everywhere USA put 'em down.

Awesome...

• Reply 15 of 19
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    It was a great movie!! It's funny to see how bad the whole country was doing in the 80's.

Can you imagine sitting in those gas line, or only getting gas on your gas day?

Crazy!! no wonder we have 2 (at least) gas stations on every corner.

If you didn't see the movie go see it!! worth the $8.00

Now I can't wait for that game to show up on ESPN Classic Channel.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Man, I fully expected a healthy dose of "Hollywood Cheeze" in this movie but there is none to be found (gladly). What an excellent movie. Not saying it's going to win any Oscars, but it is a well told story with good acting and very good cinematography. Even the way they did the lighting makes it look more real than other movies of its ilk.

Other than The Natural and Seabiscuit, probably the best sports movie I've ever seen. Way to go, Herb! I hope they have advanced screenings of these kinds of movies in hockey heaven.

• Reply 17 of 19
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Last night I had a friend who said that "The Lord of the G-Strings" was the best movie he's ever seen.....eye of the beholder and all....
  • Reply 18 of 19
    That's because he never saw Slapshot, which is the greatest sports *comedy* of all times, followed by Caddyshack and Major League.

• Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

That's because he never saw Slapshot, which is the greatest sports *comedy* of all times, followed by Caddyshack and Major League.

He's got a great point.