Temptation

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With a member of my household in the education realm (who is likewise a Macintosh comrade-in-arms), we find prices getting rather tempting. Apple's decision to chop off an extra $100 on its dual 1Gig machine (for education users) amounts to a pretty package. In the past I have been a bit testy, waiting for more speed. But without a modem, my partner could grab up a dualie with the Radeon 7500 for $2699, or so. Despite all of the talk (legitimate, it seems to me) of the motherboard's being yesterday's technology, this price is ... tempting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Ha that's a pretty good price for a dual gigger...

Here in Canada the lowest price I can find for a dual gigger (academic) with Radeon is around $4550 CDN or $2850 US

[ 03-30-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apple keeps yapping about the other 95% but if they don't get those prices under control it just won't ever happen. In fact, they're just going to have a harder and harder time holding on to the 3.5-5% they currently have.

If they can' do anything about the spec to price ratio, they should re-introduce DP machines across the board. All DP machines would really help with the perception of value, and it would add substantially to Mot's PPC sales, which might, just maybe, possibly, but don't hold your breath, encourage Mot to roll out faster PPC's in a more timely fashion. They should move the powermacs to all DP and keep them that way, permanently. Not take away the configs the second proc speeds climb a bit. Prices are just that much harder to swallow in markets outside the USA. Apple needs to do something.

[ 03-30-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ameatameat Posts: 18member
    NYU has a deal on the dual gig plus the 17 inch lcd for 2800...now that was tempting...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [quote] If they can't do anything about the spec to price ratio, they should re-introduce DP machines across the board. All DP machines would really help with the perception of value, and it would add substantially to Mot's PPC sales, which might, just maybe, possibly, but don't hold your breath, encourage Mot to roll out faster PPC's in a more timely fashion. <hr></blockquote>

I couldn't agree more. If Apple had DP machines for all of its power line, I never would have had the need to write my first comment--we'd be working on a new machine right now.