Next Civilization

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
IS there a new civilization game coming out (on any platform?) The game is incredibly addictive, and is great for a three day weekend. I really liked Civ 1-3 (including Colonization!) any nuews?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Colonization, wow, I'd forgotten about that game. I really liked it, I remember playing it around the same time that I was studying about some of that stuff in grade school, and as such lots of information about the founding fathers and situations leaked into my brain.

That was a fun game, had good music too.

I haven't heard anything about a new civilization game, but it's a big franchise, I'm sure it'll be updated eventually.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Heh, I just re-discovered Civ III, installed it and have been playing it all weekend. Such a great game.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I wish there was a multi-player version of it, that would be GRAND.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

I wish there was a multi-player version of it, that would be GRAND.

There is, it's called FreeCiv, and you can grab it here. Unfortunately there's no Aqua/Cocoa/Carbon version, what they've had to do is port the Unix/X11 version, but at least it works and it's free
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Civ 4 is under early development.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Civ 4 is under early development.

says who?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

says who?

Says a lot of people...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

says who?

From IMG:

Quote:

In an interview with GameDaily, Firaxis Games President and Chief Executive Officer Jeff Briggs seemingly confirmed that one of the three titles being worked on at the gaming developer is Civilization IV. [..]

This is the first known word of any kind from any representative of Firaxis or Civ series publisher and franchise owner Atari confirming a CivIV is in the works.

• Reply 9 of 14
    excellence!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

The game is incredibly addictive

Sadly i spent 6 hours in one day playing it,
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

Sadly i spent 6 hours in one day playing it,

Thats nothing. I have literally spent an entire day playing my friends online. Woke up in the morning, started playing and the next thing I knew it was night. All I can say is the civ games and the alpha centauri games are the best turn based strategy games ever. I cant wait for the next one.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Is Civ III as good as Civ II? I have it, but haven't tried it really, just started it once and saw it was pretty damn different so I hadn't tried it since. Guess it sounds good by the way your all talking about it.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Is Civ III as good as Civ II? I have it, but haven't tried it really, just started it once and saw it was pretty damn different so I hadn't tried it since. Guess it sounds good by the way your all talking about it.

Ya its a wicked game. There is a lot of different things in it which make it a more difficult game than the first two were. For example, there are deposits of different resources (iron, grapes, gold, etc) on the map that do different things in the game. Like some things increase the happiness of the workers in the city while other things allow you to build certain units. Without these resources, you cannot build the unit, structure, etc which makes diplomacy and other aspects of the game much more improtant than they were in the previous games. Play it, you'll love it, it'll just take a little longer to get used to and to become good at it.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Civ III > Civ I > Civ II

In my opinion...