External USB2.0 HD Won't Mount

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
1.25Ghz Alu PB MacOS X 10.3.1

My HD won't mount on the Desktop. (I know, I know... age-old problem...) It's an external 120GB USB2.0 7200rpm LaCie Hard Disk (D2 casing). Standard config. There don't seem to be any new relevant drivers at the driver support webpage. Previous AI threads I've turned up in a Search haven't given me any ideas on how I can sort this out. The only thing that makes the comp recognise the HD is to restart/shut down. Plugging in after a restart/shut down, the HD is mounted. I've repaired permissions and the disk. This is a perennial problem, but I can't detect a pattern so I can't think what makes it worse or what makes it go away again.

My iPod also won't mount. The only time the iPod icon appears on the Desktop is when is actually syncing with iTunes?updating. As soon as the Do Not Disconnect symbol goes away, it disappears from the Desktop. Is there something wrong with my pref settings?

Any Help on both of these issues would be much appreciated, Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Oi! Any ideas?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Last Bump.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    In the interests of trying to solve your problem:

Do you have show hard disks on desktop selected in your finder preferences?

When you click on 'computer' in the finder does your HD appear there?

Reason why I ask is that you seem to be having the same problem with the iPod, but then state when you sync it, it works, which makes me think it has been there all along.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but at the very least you know someone is reading your posts

EDIT: have you played about with the terminal? You might be able to locate it there, or possible mount it.

EDIT2: Sorry tired. You state that it mounts originally, which makes me believe you have the show HD checked.

Type "apropos mount" in the terminal as one of the functions might help you reestablish a link (or maybe not!)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but at the very least you know someone is reading your posts

Thank Ye

Quote:

In the interests of trying to solve your problem:

Do you have show hard disks on desktop selected in your finder preferences?

Yup.

Quote:

When you click on 'computer' in the finder does your HD appear there?

Alas no. And herein lies the problem.

Quote:

EDIT: have you played about with the terminal? You might be able to locate it there, or possible mount it.

What's Terminal (No. Me no understandie Terminal unless you tell me what to type in and then all I have to do is press enter \ )

Quote:

Type "apropos mount" in the terminal as one of the functions might help you reestablish a link (or maybe not!)

And what does this gobbledegook mean?

Code:

amd(8) - automatically mount file systems

amq(8) - automounter query tool

automount(8) - automatic NFS mount / unmount daemon

exports(5) - define remote mount points for NFS mount requests

fixmount(8) - fix remote mount entries

getmntinfo(3) - get information about mounted file systems

hdik(8) - lightweight in-kernel disk image mounting tool

mount(8) - mount file systems

mount.cifs(8) - mount using the Common Internet File System (CIFS)

mount_afp(8) - mount an afp (AppleShare) filesystem

mount_cd9660(8) - mount an ISO-9660 filesystem

mount_cddafs(8) - mount an Audio CD

mount_fdesc(8) - mount the file-descriptor file system

mount_ftp(8) - mount a FTP filesystem

mount_hfs(8) - mount an HFS/HFS+ file system

mount_msdos(8) - mount an MS-DOS file system

mount_nfs(8) - mount nfs file systems

mount_ntfs(8) - mount an NTFS file system

mount_smbfs(8) - mounts a shared resource from an SMB file server

mount_udf(8) - mount a UDF filesystem

mount_webdav(8) - mount a WebDAV filesystem

mountd(8) - service remote NFS mount requests

pawd(1) - print automounter working directory

:

Thanks anyway for your reply \
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I was having a similar problem with a Firewire drive and ended up having to switch Firewire ports to get it to work. That might be something you've already tried, but it worked for me.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I have now been working 24 hours straight, so bear with me.

Type df -k in the terminal. Do your volumes appear there?

If yes I then have to figure out how to remount them - back to google.....

I currently have my FW drive plugged in. I ejected one of my partitions, which ejects all partitions. When I perform the above command it lists all my file systems - including the 5 partitions I have on my HD.

You are just lucky I haven't installed anything of note on my drive yet so I can happily destroy it while tinkering!

ps it would be lot easier if we had a unix geek who knows how these commands work!