Don't do this!!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I plugged my iPod into the through port on my external bus-powered FireWire HD which was connected to my PowerBook. The iPod didn't mount on the screen, so without thinking I was going to switch the two ports on the HD case. I forgot to unmount the HD from the machine first.

I know... "Data damage", but that's not what happened.

The FireWire port on my PowerBook is now fried, BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!!! The FireWire port on my iPod is fried too. My PowerBook just went out of warranty last month and my iPod went out of warranty a week ago.

I can charge the iPod with the external charger, but the battery drains as it sleeps now, so it's basically useless. I can't connect it to any Mac and I can't use it to play while plugged into the power adapter.

And I can't afford this. Really. Looks like I'll have to live without my iPod for about the next six months until I can afford to buy a new one, but I really don't know what I can do about the PowerBook.

I'm not happy, as this seems to be a bug in FireWire, which is supposed to be hot-swappable. I'm going to try to raise a stink to Apple to see if they can do anything.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    You have two "power required" device on the same firewire chain?

No wonder they all got fried......power usage exceeded the limit. Firewire only can support one bus power device per port.....

EDIT: What I meant "power required" is BUS POWER

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 20
    pretty much yes
  • Reply 3 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>You have two "power required" device on the same firewire chain?

No wonder they all got fried......power usage exceeded the limit. Firewire only can support one self power device per port.....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you serious? I never would have known this and I could easily see it happening to many people as iPods get more widespread. Hell, it could have happened to me if I had decided to get that external HD instead of getting a new computer.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Oops...Sorry I shoudl say bus power. NOT selfpower

Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry
  • Reply 5 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Oops...Sorry I shoudl say bus power. NOT selfpower

Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, since I've chained my ipod through my cd burner without problems, I figured you meant bus-powered. Still a MAJOR issue.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I think this is shocking. I don't own an iPod, but I was under the impression that firewire was a fester and better version of USB and everything could be chained together. I think you should really make a stink at Apple but I would try the innocent approach first. It is better to have their symphathy rather than by being confrontational straight away.

As fir your iPod getting it repaired should be cheaper than replacing it anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    tonton,

Is the HD from the iPod salvagable? You could possibly make a portable HD out of it if it's ok. Sorry about the loss. I'm sure it was well-loved in its time. You really should post on Apple's boards about this. It seems that it is possibly a serious problem. There was no mention of this possibility in the scant documentation that came with the iPod.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    what is wrong with you? just buy a compusa warranty and get them to fix it.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Have you tried resetting your iPod and all that jazz?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Eeek.. that sucks man.. sorry

But hey, $399 iPod paperweights! That's classy!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Just to clarify all this as I am getting an iPod soon:

I don't keep my MP3s on my computer, but rather a VST external FW 20 gig drive.

So, I should NOT connect the FW drive to my iBook, and then connect the iPod to the extra firewire port on the hard drive? Would it work OK if I had the iPod plugged into an AC outlet?

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: Horned_Frog ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>Just to clarify all this as I am getting an iPod soon:

I don't keep my MP3s on my computer, but rather a VST external FW 20 gig drive.

So, I should NOT connect the FW drive to my iBook, and then connect the iPod to the extra firewire port on the hard drive? Would it work OK if I had the iPod plugged into an AC outlet?

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: Horned_Frog ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

There is no way that would work b/c the AC plug for the iPod is also it's firewire port. It may not make sense now, but you'll see when you get it. Anyway, is your HD self powered or does it get power from the FW bus on your ibook? If it's self-powered, it ought to be ok. If it's bus powered, it's not gonna work and you'll probably end up like tonton if Leonis is right. HTH.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    No, I power the drive from the port onthe computer, i.e I don't plug it into the wall...damn this sucks. You can buy an external power cord...but I hate to spend money on it. Shoot. Why can't they just include an AC adapter when you buy it? I mean, you pay top dollar for it, and then you will have to overpay for an adapter...

Ah, I see it is $20 from <a href="http://www.smartdisk.com"; target="_blank">www.smartdisk.com</a>

I don't even know if this is exacly what I need...I have Model # FW9520-G

So if I were to purchase this, then I could hook the iPod up to the FireWire drive and be safe?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    hirhir Posts: 66member
    If there's a dishonest bone in your body, do this. I've done it with some hardware before.

Buy a NEW iPod. Then return the the OLD/BROKEN iPod in the new box to wherever you bought the NEW iPod. Say you bought it as a gift and they don't want it. Don't forget to exchange the back plate that has the serial # on it. Apple deserves this anyway for not warning you.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>Unfortunately I think the hardware stores the serial number electronically on the iPod (ever wonder why the Serial# shows up on the info screen?)

I'm not sure if simply swapping the hard drive would swap that info, or if somehow the info is stored on the motherboard.

I have sent my iPod back to my dealer, who is checking my warranty. Basically if I forgot to go to the Apple site and register, he will issue me a new receipt so that my 'Pod is still within warranty. Great service, this dealer.

If he finds there's nothing he can do then I will open the iPod case (which I've never done) and check out the internals before buying a new one. I might try the swap option, but won't request a refund (this is not the US and stores generally won't do it) and instead have an extra iPod to give to my girlfriend or to sell to someone.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do it at CompUSA, if people have managed to return boxes of dirt before, you can return an old iPod.