Question about selling old Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So, we just ordered a new powerbook for my wife, who's decided she needs the portability much more than she needs the power of the old Quicksilver Dual Gig Machine we bought for her when she started grad school. Now we've gotta sell the Quicksilver to make the Powerbook affordable, and this brings me to my question, what's the best place to sell it? I'm most interestted in finding somewhere that 1) I'll be taking a minimum of risk, likely to endure a minimum of hassle, and likely to get it sold quickly.

There is, of couse, e-bay, and given that I think its still a pretty desirable machine, I expect that that would be a decent option. I've also seen that you can sell machines on Amazon.com, which seems tempting.

Does anyone have any experience with these things, other options I may be overlooking.

Its a dual-gig quicksilver, 1.25gb ram, 80gb hard drive, zip drive, superdrive. In very good condition. I'd like to think I can get about $1k for it. Does this seem reasonable?

Any replies or advice will be very much appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You could try selling it here, or at the Marketplace forum at MacNN.com. Amazon will take a pretty hefty cut, but it won't be much higher than the total amount eBay will take from you (listing fee + final price fee + Paypal fee). Selling on eBay isn't the crapshoot that buying from it is, though. If you are selling something there, you can wait until you have your money before you send anything out. So don't rule out eBay.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    On eBay you will get a good price, but you will most likely have to deal with idiots. Every time I sell something I get weirdoes and freaks that email me asking all kinds of retarded questions.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Thanks for the info. E-bay sorta worries me, given that I've never used it before and have no history -- but I'm figuring that I should be able to get about what I want for it. The everymac.com listing is 1250-1500, which seems a tad high to me, but I'd be very happy to take 1250 for it, and it seems that I should be able to get close to that for e-bay. If I were to put up a listing here, would I do it in this category, or elsewhere?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jadejade Posts: 379member
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Everymac.com does not really update their "current prices" very often. Don't use that as a guide. To see how much it's actually worth, do an advanced search on eBay and check the "Completed Items" box. That way you'll see what machines like yours actually sold for, not what people were asking.

$1250 is about as high as I could see it selling for. $1100 seems about right to me.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Would you be interested in trading it for a 600 MGz G3 iBook?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Well, he said he already ordered the PowerBook. Also, you'd have to throw in about $500 if you traded, because that iBook is not worth nearly as much as the PowerMac.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Everymac.com does not really update their "current prices" very often. Don't use that as a guide. To see how much it's actually worth, do an advanced search on eBay and check the "Completed Items" box. That way you'll see what machines like yours actually sold for, not what people were asking.

$1250 is about as high as I could see it selling for. $1100 seems about right to me.

Yeah, I did just about the same thing as you describe here, and came to much the same conclusion.

I'm not going to formally list it anywhere for *at least* another week or so, probably closer to two. I want to get the new machine, get it configured and make sure that all the data transfer stuff goes off smoothly and that my wife's comfortable with it before wiping the old hard drive and restoring it to its stock config. There's a couple of years of graduate work on that machine, as well as all her current projects, and even though I'll be keeping the two extra hard drives that are in there (ahh the joy's of external firewire enclosures), I'm still going to be very cautious about all of this.

In the meantime, anyone who's interested, and not in an unbearable hurry to conclude the sale / get the machine, is welcome to contact me via pm and make me an offer. I've already gotten one that I'm gonna respond to as soon as I finish this.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Sorry,

I'm NOT interested in trades at all for this machine, only outright sales.