iMac good for web development?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My Combo 700 iMac is on order. One issue I've been somewhat concerned about is the screen maximum resolution of 1024x768. Is this enough to do web development?

Stuff like GoLive, Dreamweaver and Flash? Obviously a larger screen would be nice and since the iMac supports only mirroring, adding another monitor really doesn't help.

Anyone here use these programs on their new iMac?

thanks

BTW, is it just me or is this forum really quiet these days?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't have an iMac, but I've found that Dreamweaver is very manageable on my Pismo Powerbook as long as you use the screen's real-estate effectively. Find a way to organize the windows so that the location of your windows makes the whole experience very efficient.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Eek! Web Dev on 1024 x 768?

I am having trouble working efficiently on my dual 1280 x 1024 setup.

Maybe you could find a nice CRT that you could use at good resolution when you need some more space and put it back in the closet when you don't?

-Ender
  • Reply 3 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I agree.

1024x768 screen res isn't cuttin it.

Many apps in this day are so palette heavy. You will not have enough space to work
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I currently do web design on an iMac DV. It can be tough, but I manage. However, after using bigger screens on various occasions, I see how much it slows down my workflow. At least for me, what I have found, is that it can be done, but is much much harder.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>My Combo 700 iMac is on order. One issue I've been somewhat concerned about is the screen maximum resolution of 1024x768. Is this enough to do web development?

Stuff like GoLive, Dreamweaver and Flash? Obviously a larger screen would be nice and since the iMac supports only mirroring, adding another monitor really doesn't help.

Anyone here use these programs on their new iMac?

thanks

BTW, is it just me or is this forum really quiet these days?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i have a kick ass G4 at work, but an SE iMac at home... other than a speed difference, everything i do at home is identical to the powermac. you'll be fine if you're just using dreamweaver and whatnot.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    umm,

Why does it take up so much screen real estate to open up a text editor and hack pages?

(runs, covering his head)