Moving iPhoto to a new dir. makes Software Update go crazy

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
After I installed iLife '04, I moved all the iLife apps into a new directory (/Applications/iLife/). Now when I run Software Update, it tells me that there is a new version of iPhoto to download. The only problem is it's trying to install iPhoto 2...

For now, I selected the "Ignored Update" menu item using the Update menu. How do I tell Software Update that I moved the app to a new directory? I'm trying to organize my Applications folder so I don't want to move the iLife apps back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fulmer

How do I tell Software Update that I moved the app to a new directory? I'm trying to organize my Applications folder so I don't want to move the iLife apps back.

Never, under any circumstances, move Apple's applications anywhere. If you need an organized app folder, make a new folder in your home directory and put your apps' aliases there in whatever subfolders you like. Then drag the folder onto the Dock.

The thing is, unlike OS 7-9, software updaters expect to find the software they need in certain folders. They don't even attempt to look for it. If iPhoto is not in /Applications, the updater thinks you have trashed it.

There is no workaround. Just leave programs where they are. Point. Sorry for the disappointment.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Never, under any circumstances, move Apple's applications anywhere. If you need an organized app folder, make a new folder in your home directory and put your apps' aliases there in whatever subfolders you like. Then drag the folder onto the Dock.

The thing is, unlike OS 7-9, software updaters expect to find the software they need in certain folders. They don't even attempt to look for it. If iPhoto is not in /Applications, the updater thinks you have trashed it.

There is no workaround. Just leave programs where they are. Point. Sorry for the disappointment.

The only thing I have to say is .... bummer