Japanese Fonts in Illustrator

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, I'm trying to complete a design in Illustrator that includes a Japanese phrase. I can grab it from BabelFish, copy it into Cocoa apps, and it works just fine, but I can't get it into Illustrator. It just gives me a bunch of question marks and crap. I tried changing all the fonts, and just can't get it to render correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bauman,

Several months ago someone was having a similiar problem. This is what I did and it worked with Illustrator 10 (working in OS 10.2.6 with English and Japanese installed).

I used QuickTime to translate some copy from English to Japanese. I then copy it from QuickTime and pasted it into TextEdit (I am assuming that you have Japanese and English installed on your system). I then copied the Japanese text from TextEdit and pasted it into Illustrator. If I went from QuickTime to Illustrator it wouldn't work but by pasting it into TextEdit first it would. After pasting it into Illustrator I would convert the Japanese type to Outlines incase the file is going to be opened by someone who isn't running Japanese on their system.

My wife is Japanese and she doesn't recommend the QuickTime (or Babelfish translations for accurate translations). If you just want the Japanese for the look then it is okay but if it is going to be read by Japanese you might want to consult someone who is Japanese to double check it's content.

Good luck
  • Reply 2 of 5
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Thanks for the reply, but that's exactly how I was trying to do it. I have it visible in TextEdit, all nice lookin', but as soon as I copy it into Illustrator some characters change into question marks... some characters are correct.

Oh, and it is only for looks... we just think it looks cool (it's for a group tee shirt).

As an aside, Quicktime does translations?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bauman,

Sorry, it was late, I meant Sherlock not QuickTime. In Sherlock you can do Translations.

Are you using the same Japanese font in Illustrator as you are in TextEdit? Are you using lets say Osaka in TextEdit and then also using Osaka in Illustrator or are you using 2 different fonts? If you are using 2 different fonts one font may have characters that the other font does not and so it may be replacing them with question marks. Illustrator doesn't seem to like to use Japanese very much (at least the English version of Illustrator), my guess is that Adobe wants you to have to buy a Japanese version of Illustrator if you are going to be doing a lot of Japanese work.

If you can't get it, take a screen shot of the TextEdit Page (with the Japanese you want to use) and email it to me and I will put it together in Illustrator and send it back to you as an Illustrator file.

Good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Ahh, that was apparently the problem. I was trying to keep the fonts the same, and tried many different combinations, but the osaka -> osaka was the winner. I think that I was trying to use korean fonts... STKeiko? and TextEdit was more generous than Illustrator was.

Whatever the problem, it's solved now.

Thanks for your help and offer... that's really generous.

bauman
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Double post...