Safari is a CPU hog

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just sitting on this page to post makes safari use up >70% of my CPU. It does this with any type of animation. Just sitting on a posting page will after a time make my fan come on on my 15" AlBook. Also I've noticed before it's done this but not give up when I change to a simple page, so I've had to quit and restart Safari.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Not here in the reply pane...

Well upon quiting and restarting it now is around 20%...but I imagine it will go back up after being open for so long again. 20% is still excessive while just sitting at a page isn't it? I mean I can understand resizing or loading, but just sitting on a page?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Is Safari part of the Digital Hub? Nope.

Moving to Software.

Was the slowdown issue partly explained when Safari 1.2 was first released? Yes.

Is there a fix? Possibly.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Is Safari part of the Digital Hub? Nope.

Moving to Software.

Was the slowdown issue partly explained when Safari 1.2 was first released? Yes.

Is there a fix? Possibly.

Always so useful, but at this point, I think the new FireFox is more appropriate to imitate safari for me until OmniWeb comes out of beta...plus they need to find a better icon...firefox's is amazingly cool. Omniweb gives me problems when using tabs and loading more then a couple pages. Plus it's only mostly stable not completely so that causes problems as well.

I do give you great credit though for spending that much time to look up all that, and specifically the post number...all on lil' ole me
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I do give you great credit though for spending that much time to look up all that, and specifically the post number...all on lil' ole me

Thanks. It was no trouble at all because that post has been linked to several times (by other members) since I made it.

Hehe.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I think Apple would have been better off basing safari on Gecko. AOLs browser and Netscape render pics faster, have a more thorough preferences panel, and seem to be alot more stable.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    It apparantly only hogs CPU when you're on a .php page or something. I had 0.0% CPU usage when just sitting on a 'normal' page.

As soon as I went to the 'Post Reply' page I got 70% to 95% CPU. That is 95% when typing 70% when doing nothing (PB 1.25 - Safari 1.2). Then, after a few minutes, it went back to 0.0% to 5.5%. Strange. Or not ?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Yup, I screw around with these forums all the time (here and Bimmer forums) PHP kills my system. Right now, my CPU is pegged w/Safari at 60.3%
  • Reply 9 of 11
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    maybe we should all report the cpu hogging to apple as a safari bug.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

As soon as I went to the 'Post Reply' page I got 70% to 95% CPU. That is 95% when typing 70% when doing nothing (PB 1.25 - Safari 1.2).

Reading comprehension is such a beautiful thing.

I direct you to the third reply in this thread:

Quote:

See the link. I didn't post it there just to look pretty.

This has **nothing** to do with PHP, folks. PHP is strictly a server-side technology. By the time PHP code is processed and sent to your browser, it is completely indistinguishable from plain old vanilla HTML (or whatever language the developer is using).

Summary:

It's a problem with animated GIFs.

It has nothing to do with PHP.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Summary:

It's a problem with animated GIFs.

It has nothing to do with PHP.

So I think I narrowed it down to damn PHP. Whenever I go to reply my CPU useage jumps up. Why does PHP do this? Makes no sense if you ask me since PHP code is done on the server and sent as HTML to the browser. Oh well, maybe Brad will know

Oh yeah