Apple Care

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
An apple sales approached me lately for my new imac.

is it worth it?

how often your mac needs on-site repair?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    red wolfred wolf Posts: 15member
    You're talking about a $150 investment to protect your $800 to $1900 computer for the next two years. Plus full Apple phone support. Plus on site repair (your average one hour rate for this is equal to the cost of AppleCare). Plus some really useful tech tools. I say do it, especially if there isn't an autherized Apple repairer (and I don't mean CompUSA) in your area.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    For laptops, the answer to the AppleCare question is always "YES" because of the cost of the screen. In the past, the desktops were a little bit fuzzy, but now that Apple's line is basically standard with LCDs, you should definitely pick it up, especially if you have an LCD iMac.

If something goes wrong with the screen, you can get it fixed. But if it dies a year from now, just after the warranty expires, you're out of luck. Get the warranty!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by firehc:

<strong>An apple sales approached me lately for my new imac.

is it worth it?

how often your mac needs on-site repair?</strong><hr></blockquote>

please buy it!!! i didnt get it for my powerbook G3, and the display develeped a huge problem in the 2nd year 10th month (i would have been covered for 3 years). the imac warranty is inexpensive and it is defn worth it for anything that has an lcd. i made sure i got one for my new imac G4 this time.

but--one warning..i ran that techtools disk that came in the warranty box and it totally screwed up my imac. it wasnt even able to start up again. my husband finally fixed it somehow with norton i think, but it took a while.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thanks!

will get it asap.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    just to throw another log on the fire. in this case a resounding yes.

reasons why?

1. contains an LCD. anything with an LCD should get a protection plan.

2. all in one design. if your modem gets fried, the motherboard is toast. no PCI cards to slide in and out.

3. finally, rev. A of anything it's probably worth getting a plan. you never know what kinks they haven't worked out or thought of ahead of time.

oh yeah, and this one is pretty damn cheap compared to a lot i've seen. do it.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 6 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Yeah

Imagine....

Motherboard - $2000 CDN - $3000 CDN

DaughterCard - $1200 CDN for single 867 and $2500 CDN for the Dual 800!!!!!!!

LCD monitor - Replacement for the 17" - $1000 CDN!

CRT monitor for 21" ASD - $2000 CDN !!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thanks for your advice!!!!