How do I de-default iTunes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I want to de-default iTunes as my default music player so that Quicktime, instead of iTunes opens when I open an mp3, for instance, and does not import the file for that matter. (i'm sick of deleting stuff after I listen to it because of iTunes insisting on importing everything)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Just like associating any other app with a file type.

Select any file of that type in the Finder.

Cmd-I (or File-> Get Info) will bring up the Info panel.

Click on the disclosure triangle if needed to open up 'Open with:'

Select QuickTime Player from the pop-up.

Click the 'Change All...' button to set this app to launch for *every* file of this type.

Again, this works for any filetype on your machine.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    or you can turn off the pref in itunes to "add song to library when played"
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

or you can turn off the pref in itunes to "add song to library when played"

Where is that?

The closest option I can see is "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" and unchecking that still doesn't entirely solve the problem. When double-clicking the file, it will still add it to the library (it just won't move/duplicate the file into the iTunes Music folder).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    One other option is to use the Columns view so as to be able to preview the file without having to open it. This is what I do when downloading music from newsgroups and want to preview the song to see if I like it before placing them in iTunes.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

One other option is to use the Columns view so as to be able to preview the file without having to open it.

This is what I do to preview and select Freeplay music for videos that I produce. It keeps from having those few gigs of files mucking up my iTunes library.