setting up webserver with panther

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Currently I have panther set up to allow ftp access to several users. THis works fairly well, but the problem is not everyone has access to an ftp client all the time. Does anyone know how I can set up the mac to allow people to go into a browser and upload or download files into only thre folders? Currently I opened port 80 to my mac through my airport. When I type in the ip, same ip as for the ftp, I get a message saying that apache is there etc...

But thats all I can get to. I dont see any users or anything.

Any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    first make sure Web access is on in your sharing preferences. Then go to http://192.168.123.150/~username/ (your IP address will be different) There is a folder called "sites" in your home directory. That is where you want to put your files.

From what I can tell, you can't upload files using a web browser. Unless you have some strange javascript.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    is port 80 all that i need to have opened? For some reason i put in ~username and it says forbiden. So I went and double checked that web hosting was on and it was. Actually it showed at the bottom of it the link that I could click on that would be my user link. So I even tried to click on it and that didnt work either. Does file vault have anything to do with it? I even tried the accounts that dont have file vault and it was a no go. Im just looking for a way for people to upload and download files via a browser incase they dont have access to an ftp client. Any other suggestions?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Last time I had that forbidden problem I created a new user just for web access. You may want to try that. I don't know where apache preferences are saved but I had some that seemed to be messed up. Creating a new user gave the account some default preferences.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    do you think because i have it set that the users use the simplified option of a user? I mean the account is really striped down to the fact that they have no access to anything? Could that be it. Maybe I will try what ou said and make an account and allow them access to several things. But then that means, the account of myself (the admin) would work. Hmmm... strange.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    You could always install an FTP script made in PHP,

Other wise you could create a MySQL database and put the users name and passwords in there and then set a login script on the ~username directories. After that you could use a simple PHP upload script, but you would have to modify your PHP.ini to allow greater than 2MB files to be uploaded, and also modify apache to change the timeout limit.

May I suggest the PHP FTP route?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    You may want to check this directory to see if your webserver is pointing here:

/Library/WebServer/Documents/

Put a new index.html file in that directory and see if you can see it from a browser.

Then you can look for this file:

/etc/httpd.conf

That USED to be where I could find my apache configuration file, but I've suddenly noticed that it's there, but empty. Check your system and see what it shows.