12" ibook G4 - battery not flush?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it normal for the ibook battery to "sag down" about 1mm towards the center of the case? (its perfectly flush where the rubber foot is) I'm wondering if those springs are too strong and are the culprits.

-eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by etai_s15

Is it normal for the ibook battery to "sag down" about 1mm towards the center of the case? (its perfectly flush where the rubber foot is) I'm wondering if those springs are too strong and are the culprits.

-eric

"They all do that."

It does seem that the springs are a little strong or that there is a little too much tolerance in the locking latch. I'm going to investigate if there is some kind of adjustment to be made but I don't expect there to be.

Unfortunately it appears to be a "live with it". \
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Well, I'll be: you're right! Never noticed that before, but I just checked and my battery does exactly that.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Yeah, I was annoyed with it when I first got it. It may be the springs, though- I've noticed that mine doesn't do it as bad as it did when I first got it. Now it will actually stay flush if I push it down.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    YES Damnit and people stop complaining about cosmetics!! NOTHING is perfect! If you complain about this what do you want them to do, double the price so the battery looks perfect with the case?? Some of these complaints are getting ridiculous. If it "rocks" that is one thing, but even then just stick a dime under there. For mine it was the feet. So I just ripped all the feet off. Problem solved.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    It shouldn't cost a thing to make the battery flush with the case, might as well have some perfection... I mean, this is apple after all.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It's not the springs. It's the fact that the powerbook is bowing down. It's the same thing that causes the case to buckle out above the latch. Same problem different symptoms.

My feet fell off a while ago. I now have three feet along the front and one centered in the back. The powerbook just needs more support to keep from bowing.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    The replacement battery for my 12"iBook sticks out just a little too much and doesn't match the finish of my 2001 white iBook. Finally got over it, but I'll admit to grumbling for awhile.