New eMac on the way?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was just browsing on the "Special Deals" section of the Apple Store and noticed that an unopened last generation eMac was listed for $1099 with Superdrive. It has the exact same specs as the current $1099 eMac. While I realize that the last update was more of a price cut than anything else, I still found it odd that it would be listed as a previous generation machine. It was not a refurbished machine and was clearly a new machine. There also was a single 1.8GHZ G5 on the page, understandable since it is not made anymore. But I don't get the eMac listing. Indication of an update coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

I was just browsing on the "Special Deals" section of the Apple Store and noticed that an unopened last generation eMac was listed for $1099 with Superdrive. It has the exact same specs as the current $1099 eMac. While I realize that the last update was more of a price cut than anything else, I still found it odd that it would be listed as a previous generation machine. It was not a refurbished machine and was clearly a new machine. There also was a single 1.8GHZ G5 on the page, understandable since it is not made anymore. But I don't get the eMac listing. Indication of an update coming soon?

I do not get that, unless they are getting a lot of traffic through the deals page and wanted to cross market the item.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    There ought to be.

Make a deep pizza pan iBook and ta-da. LCD eMac. Keyboard included in the design. Standard desktop components due to deeper iBook design.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I agree that there out to be one. I like the idea of an LCD AIO eMac that has the screen, CPU, everything in one piece (ie. no steel arm attachment). I'd probably give it about 6 inches worth of depth and adjustable legs so the screen angle can be changed.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    That deal has been there since December.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    This won't happen. At least not until LCDs come down in price a LOT. The primary market for the eMac is education where most schools are VERY concerned about price. What's an LCD buy them? A little bit of space? Less weight? And how reliable are LCDs compared to CRTs? Take all of that and charge more than a CRT-based eMac? If Apple were to do that, they would lose even more of their education institution marketshare.

BTW, did you know that Apple still sells CRTs? From the Apple online store? Not the retail store, but the education store. (No, they're not Apple-branded.) They still sell CRTs for the same reason there won't be a CRT eMac. Maybe 2006. Longshot, but maybe.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Faeylyn

They still sell CRTs for the same reason there won't be a CRT eMac. [/B]

Eh?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    It doesnt make sense to me. The only thing I can think of is that the eMac got a new SKU when they cut the price, and the 'Older Generation' machine is the previous sku, given the price cut.

Someone on the inside of a Mac shop would be able to advise on any SKU changes.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Werd. I mean weird. They also have DVD media listed for there for $9.99, which is the same as the regular price.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    the previous gen. emac's were os 9 bootable, the current are not!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by lungaretta

Eh?

He meant to say "They still sell CRTs for the same reason there won't be a LCD eMac.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Sounds like another web intern had a few too many fruit juices at the last company party and was typing half-blind/half-in-the-bag. DVDs and eMacs on the closeout page at the same price as current models is probably a web/db snafu.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Derrick 61

He meant to say "They still sell CRTs for the same reason there won't be a LCD eMac.

Correct. Typo. Sorry.