Should Apple put Gigabit on the entire line?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think so. The new X86 chipsets coming 2H 2004 will almost all have 10/100/1000 in the controller xbit labs has a preview .

Gigabit while being overkill for some users is increasingly becoming a feature that doesn't cost anything extra to implement. With 8 port Gigabit Switches less than $200 USD it's fast becoming a no-brainer to add Gigabit. In fact with xGrid and other grid applications benefitting from a speed increase due to Gigabit Apple will want to migrate the whole lineup quickly to increase performance as well.

Also interesting is the Azalia chipset from Intel. 24/192 Audio is most definitely overkill and I hope people don't actually try recording at that speed(files would be huge) but it's nice nonetheless. Apple needs to move to multichannel Hirez Audio I/O. SPDIF optical is limited to 48Khz and compressed multi-channel(ie Dolby Digital and DTS). Firewire is natural for running hirez multi-channel audio. Hopefully next MWSF will have Rev C motherboards with Hypertransport 2.0, PCI Express and Audio I/O to take us forward for the next half-century.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think so. The new X86 chipsets coming 2H 2004 will almost all have 10/100/1000 in the controller xbit labs has a preview .

Gigabit while being overkill for some users is increasingly becoming a feature that doesn't cost anything extra to implement.

Yes, this should be standard on all products.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    It should be on Airport Basestations as well.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

24/192 Audio is most definitely overkill and I hope people don't actually try recording at that speed(files would be huge) but it's nice nonetheless.

take it from an audio/music pro, very few peeps record at 192 in the music production industry, most run at 96k these days, I still run at 44.1k. peeps that want higher quality than 96k are better off recording DSD (the SACD format) which IMHO is far superior to the PCM coding CDs en DVDs use.

Anywho, peeps recording through their soundcards at anything above 24/96 is silly, I'd even argue recording at 96k on a consumer quality sound card won't do anything for you.

16bit/44.1k quality is fine, if it's good enough for cd, it's good enough for you.

~Ovy Wan~
  • Reply 4 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Yeah, Gb ethernet is no longer all that.

At the same time they make it standard, though, they should trump the industry again and ship PowerMacs with 10Gb on board.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

At the same time they make it standard, though, they should trump the industry again and ship PowerMacs with 10Gb on board.

Funny you say that Amorph I actually heard a rumor(perhaps Macosrumors.com) that actually mentioned 10GB Ethernet on future Powermacs. I remember thinking "why on earth would someone need that on a workstation". I don't even want to price current 10GB products.

However I am looking forward to running a GB home network someday. The cost premium is negligable and with Digital Audio and Video files now growing large. Consumers that think Gigabit is overkill will only need to pass some larger Divx files around the network before they reconsider.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

damn skippy!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Is 10gb even standardized yet? I haven't heard of anything in the way of cards for it. Also, the lack of a 1000 gigabit connection on the iBook makes me reluctant to buy one, for the simple fact that its so widely availble on everything else. I think it would be a good idea, no reason to skimp on the little things.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Is 10gb even standardized yet? I haven't heard of anything in the way of cards for it. Also, the lack of a 1000 gigabit connection on the iBook makes me reluctant to buy one, for the simple fact that its so widely availble on everything else. I think it would be a good idea, no reason to skimp on the little things.

If it's not it's close. Plenty of Networking companies are advertising "future 10g support"

Here's one 4 port card

http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=A13C919

Spendy! I think I'll be happy with Gigabit for the time being. Not to mention the 4 port cards from http://www.small-tree.com/ they also have 10g products coming @ http://www.small-tree.com/products.html#10GE
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Gigabit Ethernet on all models sure would be nice.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    There is no reason to not have Gigabit on the entire line. I really hope this happens.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    The only reason that I would see that could come up would be to make a noticable difference from consumer and pro lines... which to me is bullshit.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

The only reason that I would see that could come up would be to make a noticable difference from consumer and pro lines... which to me is bullshit.

no.. gigabit ethernet is normal stuff now.. schools even use it. Which means if you put it in an eMac you should put it in an iBook and iMac.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    It was more of an example to show how apple tries to make the consumer and pro lines visiblely different.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Right now 10Gb Ethernet is fiber-only, which makes it really expensive. When copper 10Gb (10GBASE-CX4) comes out it will be a lot cheaper. It won't be cheap enough to be on the motherboard for years, though.