Think 4 GB iPod Mini Is Too Expensive?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, look at this upcoming item from SanDisk (via CreativeMac site):

Quote:

SanDisk has also announced a 4 GB CompactFlash card designed to be used in any digital camera or other device compatible with CompactFlash media. The Type I card offers support for FAT16 and FAT32 file formats and includes a switch for setting the type of volume to be used. In FAT32 mode, it will operate as a single 4 GB card, while in FAT16, it will appear as two separate 2 GB volumes.

The 4 GB card is expected to ship in April for $999.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    solid state vs. mini HD. totally different things. and yes, it is too expensive.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

solid state vs. mini HD. totally different things. and yes, it is too expensive.

Why are they totally different things? To the consumer, they are the same size. They are the same speed. There are some advantages to flash based memory: no skipping, battery performance, etc. But are these advantages enough to outweigh the cost of getting a 4gb flash based player (none exist so factor in the time for them to come to market).

Personally I think the iPod mini is a tad expensive but not because it uses a mini HD vs. flash.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    They are different...about $850 US worth. Mostly to more pro users though, most people won't notice a speed difference. And that $999.99 price tag is exactly why the mini iPod is HD based.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Yes, I know they're two different animals. But why is flash memory so much more expensive? It isn't as complicated as a mini HD is it? Ummmm.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mini price is fine, but a lower one would be even better.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Yes, I know they're two different animals. But why is flash memory so much more expensive? It isn't as complicated as a mini HD is it? Ummmm.

No but its harder to make.

That and flash doesnt remain flashable forever.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    ???

Lexar has had a 4 GB CompactFlash 40x write-accelerated card for months. Thanks for the scoop anyway, MacsRGood4U!

By the way, Simpletech just announced an 8 GB CompactFlash card...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Wow, for some silly reason I thought the minipod was flash based...

If it is HD based then yes...It's overpriced
  • Reply 9 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Where do you plug in the earphones?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Better comparison here.

Yes, the Muvo2 is $50 cheaper, but it also feels at least $50 cheaper. The Muvo2 has a shell completely made of plastic, shitty controls, and a tiny LCD. At $200, though the Microdrive inside is a steal compared to its retail counterpart, which is $500.