Great Article from the NYT on Pond Hockey

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
You can get a sense for why, if you're a hockey lover, there is nothing better on this earth than spending the day playing pond hockey with your friends (and girlfriends in some cases). Great excercise, clean air, a brew between periods... pond hockey is amazing.

And the really cool thing: unlike other sports, you can easily have kids that are 12 years old playing with guys that are 30 and 40 and not have it disrupt the flow of the game (like it would with say pickup basketball or football or even softball).

I used to dislike the little rats skating all over the place but as I've gotten better and more accustomed to acting on instinct to the play and not thinking about where I should go, they don't bother me as much. A few years ago I might not have been good enough to just put on a burst of speed, catch up to a little bugger and swipe the puck from him in one fell swoop. Now I can, so if there are any hot-dogger kids, you take the puck from them a couple times and they learn the value of passing and skating to open space.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/12/sp...OND.html?8hpib

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    That's real hockey.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Definitely a great way to play hockey, man. All day on the outdoor rinks in the winter, all day playing road hockey in the summer. Life in Canada.

I'm also getting faster these days since I quit cutting my hair. Hockey hair definitely gives you a speed boost. heh heh

If the little guys are little enough, I put them over my shoulder and skate along with the puck with one hand on the stick. It's not something they expect.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    it has been more than 4 years since I've lasted played hockey. . . arrr!

And it doesn't look like moving to Tampa will help that much. But I miss it. Of course, I've never played on a pond. Around here, the ice never gets too thick.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Well look at the bright side, The Lightning is the league's up-and-coming team I think. So at least you'll have a decent NHL franchise to watch should you be inclined to pay $75 for a good seat (who knows what it will be after the CBA changes).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Tampa Bay... you enjoying St. Louis? Yet another Flame that kicks it up a notch or 4 when he leaves....
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I used to love playing pond hockey. There are still lots of places around Chicago to do it, so I hope it never fades from our society. It really is exhilarating to play hockey outside.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Pretty soon even the NHLers will be playing only pond hockey. Can't get locked out of a frozen pond.