In search of screen recording app

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm helping the OSU college of Education setup an online tutorial site for simple tasks such as setting up Eudora, mounting windows shares, etc. Before I begin, I was hoping to find some great Mac software for capturing screen video while recording voice. Anyone have any recommendations? I haven't been able to find any Mac apps that output to flash movies. I was hoping to find something that would at least output great quality, small size quicktime files. Any ideas what a site like http://www.vtc.com uses for their professional tutorials? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Snapz Pro X!!

Snapz Pro X!!

Snapz Pro X!!

It can't be beat. Seriously, it's the best. It offers the fastest, smoothest video capture of them all. It records the system's sounds (beeps, music, etc). It records audio from an alternate source like a microphone (think dictation).

It's well worth the cost.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

Here are some shots of Snapz in action.

Yes, even Apple (and many other big-wig companies) uses Snapz. This video demonstrating Fast User Switching in Panther was recorded using Snapz Pro X.

Want small file size? Use Snapz's scaling feature while recording (it uses a special sharpen filter as it scales and records; it's much better than scaling in QuickTime Pro). Then, when you are exporting the final, I recommend using 3ivx's MPEG-4 encoder. It does a much better job compressing than Apple's own MPEG-4 encoder and allows better control over the bitrate. When encoded by 3ivx, the resulting movie can still be played on computers with QuickTime that don't have the 3ivx component.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Also, I'm moving this thread to Software since it isn't so much a tech-support thread.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    A thread being moved from Genius Bar? Who'da thunk it?

On a side note, I second Brad's recommendation.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If ambrosia had to pay commision to everyone who recommended SPX they would go bankcrupt.

If the Ambrosia made a wordprocessor that distanced Word with as huge a margin as they distance the #2 recording app I would have perpetual orgasms at work. Top that.8)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ^^
  • Reply 6 of 6
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, SnapzPro is just a great, solid and dedicated little app. Been using it for years now (pre-OS X even).

I recommend it highly. Can't be beat.