Cell phones & OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am currently using a Nokia 5165. I want to upgrade to a newer phone and use that phone as a modem when I travel with my Powerbook G4. I am wondering what cell phone options exist for OS X both Bluebooth compatible and USB- tethered.

Roland

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac6360

I am currently using a Nokia 5165. I want to upgrade to a newer phone and use that phone as a modem when I travel with my Powerbook G4. I am wondering what cell phone options exist for OS X both Bluebooth compatible and USB- tethered.

Roland

just got done discussing this at a mac users group meeting (i'm not the expert though) two words of caution i can say though: you'll have really slow internet speeds, and it costs LOTS. bluetooth to pbook (and vice versa) transfer speeds were only about 20K/s, at least what we were demonstrating). anyways, i'll be in the market for a phone like that in about a year (when i get $ for a pbook), so let us know when you find something out and can test it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    My T610 works great as a modem. It is slow, but it works. I totally blows my friends away when I surf the internet on my iBook from the front seat of their car while we're driving. T-Mobile gives me unlimited internet access also.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    If you've got t-mobile, they offer free unlimited gprs. There are limitations (only some ports are available like 80, 143 and 25) but it works in a pinch. I use both my SE T610 and my Nokia 3650 with my powerbook. It works well for what it is.

edit: the beard beat me to it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

If you've got t-mobile, they offer free unlimited gprs.

Do I need to sign up for this? I've got T-Mobile and have never heard anything abou this. Hell, if I can already surf unlimited I'm all about that!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Originally I had signed up for the "T-ZONES" for an additional 3.99 a month. When I signed up it only included 10 MB worth of internet traffic. Recently they changed, and took away the 10 MB limit. I think you just need to get the T-Zones options.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    ATT WIRELESS has edge technology that's faster than others at 120-140kps with burst of 200kbs It uses a pc card by sony or nokia phone 6200

http://www.attwireless.com/personal/...titleNumber=14

Verizon announced a broadband style 400kbs that is in a few locations working to make it national.

go to testmy.net or pcpitstop.com and check your connection speed and post it.

I want to do the same using EDGE from ATT but want to make sure others have it and they can document the speeds with the phone and card option

the other issue is it mac/iSync compatible or needs a cord. If my iBook doen't have a card slot do they make a usb/pc card adapter so if i want the sony card (now free with sign up)? i'd do that if the phone wasn't compatible with mac.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html

That lists iSync compatible devices. You *really* want one from that list, and you *really* want to use bluetooth to sync.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    with the PB can't you use the pcmcia sony card with EDGE technology??

BT would not allow connections at 120kbs??? what's the typical connection with BT?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Assuming your responding to my comment, I was talking about bluetooth for syncing contacts using iSync (and other cool stuff with Sailing Clicker etc.) I wouldn't buy a phone without bluetooth now.

I'm not aware that you can iSync with EDGE, I thought you could only use it as a modem, but even still I'd get a phone with bluetooth as well.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

Originally I had signed up for the "T-ZONES" for an additional 3.99 a month. When I signed up it only included 10 MB worth of internet traffic. Recently they changed, and took away the 10 MB limit. I think you just need to get the T-Zones options.

Actually, you don't need any options. It's FREE on every plan over $29.99. You just have to know how to configure your devices because you won't get any tech support. I found out how from howardforums.com. It's been a while since I set it up so I can't remember what I needed to do offhand, but it's completely free. Search over there for it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    If you want to go with an USB tethered phone, you might want to consider Siemens phones. They can load the battery through USB while serving as a modem. No external charger needed.

There might be similar data+power USB cables for other phones, but Siemens has that capability in factory equipment.