The resurgance of Apple will continue: In mini we trust.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Forget for a minute, forget that the iPod exists. Pretend you were using the same portable music player you had (if you had one) 4 years ago. How did you have your music with you? How many CD's did you carry with you? How many did you want to be able to use?

Ahh, thank God for the iPod. But to me, it isnt the iPod's capacity that draws me to it anymore. I am beyond that, I have no desire or REAL need to have as many songs as 10,000 in my pocket. It costs a lot of money to do that, it also costs pocket space. While the iPod may be small in comparison to portable CD players or most other "comparable" MP3 players, it just isnt a mini.

The mini will be the best selling product in Apple's history, I have no doubts about it. I think the mini is being overlooked, simply because it gets compared in terms of storage capacity. Think about this for a second: it has as much internal storage as the original iMac did!

The mini is effectively going to be Apple's next iMac, this time in comparison to success, not storage capacity.

$249 is too much money to pay for what it is? Look at what it is NOT before you go all negative on me. It is NOT big, it is NOT expensive COMPARED to other iPod's, it is NOT heavy, it does NOT take up room, it is NOT just white, it does NOT have pitiful storage capacity.

This new iPod mini lacks so many things, that it is perfect. And before christmas, it is going to lose something else: $50 off its price tag. Of course, I didnt care about the price, because I paid for what is isnt, as much as I paid for what it is.

Never before have I been so amazed by a "mini" iteration of a product. This new iPod has everything that just about everyone needs. It is interesting to me that people talk up the idea of a low priced tower computer, this is the exact same thing as that except in digital music player form. It appeals to the masses who honestly, could care less about a 9,000 song difference. It is all about the $250 dollar difference, for $250 dollars less...look what you get...and also, look what you DONT get.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
  • Reply 2 of 18
    So I was able elicit an emotional reaction from you? No words could describe or react to my own? Interesting...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member

Thank goodness.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I honestly do not understand this seemingly ridiculous grudge, which in some cases is unfounded, that some people here have against me. I dont see that many thoughtful or enthusiastic posts from a lot of you. I am just trying my best to describe my optimism and overall viewpoint about a particular subject that I have a lot of passion for. Sorry, I'm not trying to be a zealot. I have a brain and I use it. I wish you all would use yours instead of just make fun of what comes out of mine.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    hmm i dont understand all thats going on in here, but to get back on topic, i totally agree that the mini is apple's ticket back into marketshare, and at the very least more mindshare. i also agree that the $250 price is very attractive for many people (especially students), and will give apple exactly what they wanted out of it. i have yet to see a mini in person, but all my friends are sold on them (and theyre all PC users!), so hopefully i'll see one soon. anyways, i'm off on a tangent now, so i'll stop.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Yo, dudes! Lighten up. Be nice to Messiahtosh.

The first MP3 player 97/100 of you ever had was the iPod. In light of that, perhaps the iPod mini seems lame.

Let me tell you about the old school...

I had a Rio 64MB MP3 Player, which cost me $150. It held 8 songs. I had to pay an additional $200 so it could hold an additional 8 songs. 16 songs for $350. Lame right? No. I loved that player! It ruled. Never skipped, small, perfect in every way.

Then it got stolen out of my car. I suffered for a month. Mountain bike rides, and longboarding stinks without your tunes. Then, in November, the iPod came out.

I don't have to bore you with how exciting it was for to go from 16 songs to 1200.

So, dudes, let up on Messiahtosh. I share his perspective, and enthusiasm.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Color me shocked, part 2. \
  • Reply 8 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    D.A.R.Y.L. would rock Messiahtosh at Pole Position.

pscates, you ain't colored, silly cow.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Nah.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

D.A.R.Y.L. would rock Messiahtosh at Pole Position.

pscates, you ain't colored, silly cow.

What does that even mean?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Don't ever question Bruce Dickinson.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Don't ever question Bruce Dickinson.

By the end of this thread, we'll all be wearing gold-plated diapers.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    MINI DISC, MINI DISC, MINI DISC

Ive got a long play MD now, and it pretty much sorts out my music needs. I have about 10 lp mix discs, which are just recorded from itunes playing my whole library on shuffle.

I rarely listen to enough music in one day to need more than one disc ( 300 minutes ). So I just swap a disc every so often to keep the music fresh.

Sure, its not as fancy as an iPod, but new media is cheap, so its much more versatile than a flash player.
  • Reply 14 of 18
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Messiahtosh:

don't worry guy, i share your enthusiasm as does FrancisG3. and with that said, i gotta say... you sound like a very smart guy: well spoken, precise, and clear. but hey... when you're hosting a part and someone walks in with all good things to say, should you not greet them and thank them for their contribution?!?! since you seem to have overlooked sweet FrancisG3 for her reply, i'll thank her myself. i'm pretty sure i sound like i'm scolding, but i don't mean to be; so i hope you won't take it personally. like i said you seem like a smart guy and i look forward to reading your posts in the future.

FrancisG3: thank you for being such a darling member! you contributed a meaningful post and i appreciate your real life experience, honesty, and enthusiasm!

cheers!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    You are right, thank you for calling me on my unmannerly handling of the thread. I appreciate your comments and others, I'm sorry if I acted like what I said was the end-all argument. Comments are obviously welcome, I submitted my writing for just that reason.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

The mini will be the best selling product in Apple's history, I have no doubts about it. I think the mini is being overlooked, simply because it gets compared in terms of storage capacity. Think about this for a second: it has as much internal storage as the original iMac did!

I think the mini will be the best selling product in Apple history.

I think I am blowing my own horn about this but hey: 100,000 preorders. I think I am in line, so far.