Is this normal?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have two new iMacs, one with the Superdrive and one with the Combo. I just found that the Superdrive iMac's fan is so much louder than the Combo one, is this normal? The Combo drive iMac is just so quiet that I find the Superdrive one annoyingly noisy.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: heish ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Probably because the Superdrive generates more heat. Just a wild guess, so I don't know for sure.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have a new iMac Superdrive as well and even without having the optical drive running I can put my hand over the heat vent and it is definately warm. I'd rather have a fan running than have it burn up on me though. Don't know if have 1GB RAM helps with heat at all either.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    heishheish Posts: 4member
    I think the 100 MHZ difference and Superdrive do make the iMac 800 hotter than the other two lower end models... thanks for the replies.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The DVR-104 has a tiny little fan on it. I doubt it contributes a lot to the noise though.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The DVR-104 has a tiny little fan on it. I doubt it contributes a lot to the noise though.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i've got an 800Mhz iMac and the fan is almost noiseless. if you get right next to it you can hear it, but that's it. not loud at all.

not sure if you have a bunk fan or what, but it shouldn't be noisey.

although i guess it's all relative.