Powerbook won't boot

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Yesterday I went to get on my new 15 PB. However, when I turned on the power it wouldn't boot up. It just went to the grey screen with the flashing folder. No problem, I thought, I'll just put the installation disk in and boot from there and see what is going on. It is really wierd, but the install disk is not recognizing that I have a hard drive. The only drive disk utilities recognizes is my superdrive and the only volume it recognizes is the install disk.

Does anyone having any ideas on what I can do before sending it to Apple? The really strange thing is the fact that once in awhile it will boot up just fine, so hopefully it is just a loose wire or something.

Thanks,

Josh

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If the drive utility cannot see the HD then the HD is either dead, disconnected or powered off.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Same here =(

I just powered off my brand new Aluminum and it won't boot back up. It keeps getting trapped at the grey screen area w/ the flashing question mark (ontop of a folder image) and finder icon also on top of the folder image. So it just alternates between question mark and finder... i don't have my startup CD eitehr with me as i'm on vacation. God damn't.

Holding down SHIFT, or C, or CMD-C doesn't seem to help either =( man.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Yup, just tried putting in the CD as well and when trying to install, no Hard Drive is there to install on. As in, it doesn't recognize it.

Apple said to bring it into an Apple service place... ah damn =( Powerbooks only like a week and a half old...