iPod crossplatform question...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm sure you all have posted answers to this question before, but i'm just wondering what will happen if I plug my 3rdG iPod into my new powerbook after i've already been sync'ing it with a PC for 4 months now? Will the mac override the music library stored on it or will it be passive and just work fine? I'm asking now, so I don't loose anything on it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Make sure you don't have iTunes set up to do auto update and it won't kill everything on it. If you have it set to do manual update than it'll just mount the iPod and you'll have to manually drag in all the songs you want on your iPod in iTunes. It's not as cool as auto updating, but at least it saves what's already on your iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by cyko95

I'm sure you all have posted answers to this question before, but i'm just wondering what will happen if I plug my 3rdG iPod into my new powerbook after i've already been sync'ing it with a PC for 4 months now? Will the mac override the music library stored on it or will it be passive and just work fine? I'm asking now, so I don't loose anything on it. Thanks in advance.

Is it formatted for PC or mac? I assume PC, since your mac wouldn't have a problem reading the different format.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Yes, it's formatted for PC.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    A third gen. iPod isn't formated specifically for one platform. You can use it on both a Mac and PC at the same time with no problems.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

A third gen. iPod isn't formated specifically for one platform. You can use it on both a Mac and PC at the same time with no problems.

no you cant--i tried that, and it worked like crap with the mac. transfer speeds were ridiculously slow, and i had to do a software restore and just format to the mac.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah, transfer speeds are slower with a PC formatted iPod... but with a mac formatted drive, the PC can't see it...