Powerbook 17" owner's opinions...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm probably going to be accused of hijacking satchmo's previous post. I believe my question deserves it's own post. Mods, if you disagree, strike me down.

I'd like to know how they (PB 17") are holding up. Particularly the early buyer's units. This includes any problems with screen and the overall finish.

What are the intensive tasks run on your baby, including games.

Is it a "desktop" replacement?

Thanks peeps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Everything is holding up well.

Nothing too intensive (Civ III may be the most intensive thing I have thrown at it) -- it is a laptop scoucher.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    billybob, consider buying a laptop cooler, they make a difference!
  • Reply 3 of 19
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    I'm considering a 17inch G5 powerbook to replace my iBook600DVDwithnoquarkextreme next year or the one after that. I'm interested in feedback on usage such as "do you bring it everyday to and from work?" and "do you secretly long for a smaller book?", "can you find a case that will hold the powerbook and books and papers and such?", "did you get dead pixels?".
  • Reply 4 of 19
    no dead pixels.

its quite a lug to take around; however the brookhaven bag that apple sells is nice.

no i dont long for a smaller book and in fact i dont think i would ever go to a smaller screen size -- its just too convienant.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I still love my 17" PB. I started this thread a while ago...
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I got mine in May or June of last year.

I use it for Cinema4D, Lightwave, Photoshop, Illustrator, and many less intensive applications. I don't really do high polygon work in the 3d applications-- just not my style-- so performance is excellent there. It is pretty easy for me to imagine 3d scenes that would bring this computer to its knees, but I don't deal with them. In Photoshop I usually work with 50-100 MB psd files and have no problem. As far as games go, I tried the UT 2004 demo a little this morning, and averaged around 20fps in the deathmatch scene. Remember this is on a 1st generation 17inch machine, and I could probably optimize it a little, but that isn't great. I think the G4's days are numbered as far as games go.

For me, it is absolutely a desktop replacement, since it outperforms MY desktop (QS 733) in every way. In the broader sense, there have been times in the past when the top of the line laptop more closely matched the top of the line desktop (Pismo era for instance). Right now a dual G5 desktop is just going to destroy a top of the line laptop. So I guess in that way, no, it is not a desktop replacement.

I take it with me to work pretty much five days a week. I never minded the slight extra weight. That has just never been an issue for me.

The only wear and tear I have noticed is that there is a place on the handrest which I guess rubs against the screen lid when the computer is closed, and it has gotten a little discolored (I'm not sure why just this one spot though). I lost one of the rubber feet, which I've been meaning to replace. Other than that, nothing. Screen is still great. Everything else is still great.

In the future, I would prefer to work on this size screen, and would gladly accept the added bulk to make that happen. If other factors came into play, I could see myself working happily on a 15 inch screen again though (in other words, it doesn't make 15 inch screens seem worthless).

Well, I guess that sums it up.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Desktop replacement? Kinda. For sure when the G5s hit the Books.

Secretly long for a smaller one? Yes. I find that it is a wonderful laptop for video work, provided you have a spacious table to set up on. But for typing, e-mail, iNet and the like, I certainly would like something that fits more easily in my lap, and not just for that either, typing on it can be awkward without a table.

I think in the future, the way to go for me will be 17" G5 w/ 20 " screen. That way at home, I have all the benefits of editing, but I can still edit on the road with minimal workspace loss. While for typing, I would buy a 12" iBook or PowerBook (if it got a better video card; ATI) to manage those tasks.

Sound sexy?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    WOW...

Only 4 17" Powerbook owners here in AppleInsider...
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I am considering joining the club, need to save a bit more cash though....then I might want to max out the 15'' though...\
  • Reply 10 of 19
    i have a 17 alu pb and im happy with the prime realestate on the screen. i do everything on my powerbook from email to final cut pro 4 and it runs great, and i dont mind the size it doesnt bother me,i can even take it to a coffeshop, really i dont think its that large to carry around but to each his own.

o and i use lowerpro laptopcase that fits my extremly thin powerbook in it and all my files i take to and from my office wich are about 5 to 6 inches of paper and still has room for my power adapter my cellphone and a apple pro mouse very convinient for work and it feels really padded so im comfortable putting my laptop down a bit rough sometimes or dont get scared when i bump it on a wall..
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mikemike Posts: 138member
    I have two. The original that I purchased immediately upon release and a new one.

Both are still holding up very well...no problems at all. No dead pixels, no problems with finish.

The only problem was with the original 17" rubber feet coming off. Apple has a kit to fix this problem.

No complaints here...just waiting for a G5 version to purchase.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I got mine last March (okay, I got it in April, but in shipped in March )

Anyway, it's been great every since!

I tote it to and from work everyday in the Brenthaven backpack (a must-have I might add). It's no more trouble to lug around than my last laptop, a Gateway that weighed a half-pound heavier.

Obviously since it's a 1 GHz and we're starting to see "recommend 1 GHz" so, on some of the upcoming games I imagine it's going to start having a little trouble, but overall I'm not disappointed with it's performance. Fact is though, laptops will not be game-machines (I won't say "ever", because at some point technology will advance speed/heat/wattage altogether, rather than anouncing G#, and then having to wait 1+ years for them to engineer a low-power/low-heat version), but I digress. It's a functional game system if you have realistic expectations.

Anyhow, I love it. I have no intention of giving it up for a desktop nor will I go for a smaller screen. Since I'm working on this at home and work, I want a truly usable screen size.

I won't get rid of it until there is either a 2 GHz G4 in it (I've heard Moto is still working on such a beast) or a 1.8 GHz G5. At that point I'll upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Mine is a 1Ghz. No problems at all. I moved up from a Ti 500 and this was so much better. I agree that it would be hard to go back down to a 15. Most of my work is with photoshop, excel and iphoto. No problems with this machine handling any of those. I am not really into games. I might play a game of solitaire every once in awhile and that is about it. I have the Willow briefcase and there is almost no difference between a 15 and 17 case. I am very happy with it. So I will use this for a couple of years unless they buy me a G5 3 Ghz 17 at work.

reg
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matvei

I'm considering a 17inch G5 powerbook to replace my iBook600DVDwithnoquarkextreme next year or the one after that. I'm interested in feedback on usage such as "do you bring it everyday to and from work?" and "do you secretly long for a smaller book?", "can you find a case that will hold the powerbook and books and papers and such?", "did you get dead pixels?".

Yes, i take my 17" to and fro work every day. I found a great messenger bag for it from epowermac. It runs a little hot during the Austrlaian summer - but that's fine when you prop it up to allow airflow under it.

I don't long for a smaller book, and i only got a single dead pixel which was there from the start. (but that was because i bought it online and didn't inspect it like you would in a store)
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Well, that makes 8 of you guys. Remarkable, omly 8. I may be joining the club soon. Maybe. I'm torn between a "game playing", as opposed to a "game capable" laptop. As was already beat up on satchmo's post, the PC side has legitimate high powered gaming laptops.

The only reason I haven't bought a PC laptop is because of OS X!

So I'm looking to move away completely from desktops. I need a laptop that can handle Office, a little Photoshop and be able to handle any modern FPS game better than just reasonably well.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Okay, another 17" pb owner here. I love my pb. Screen size is awesome. No dead pixels. I did have to take it to local apple authorized reseller to have latch adjusted because the screen wouldn't stay closed. They fixed it and no problems otherwise. I use it mostly now for web browsing/music and picture management(it's the biggest most expensive iPod ever!). I will be using it for video editing in the future and more photo editing after I pick up a digital camera. I am a little concerned about game performance because I do like to have a couple of games on it. I now have Sim City(it's still choppy and slow on bigger cities after the downloaded patches) and want to pick up command and conquer when it's released. So the minimum 1ghz for games is slight cause for concern, even if mine is at 1.3. Can't be long before 1.5 is the minimum requirement. I don't have a case for it yet, need to pick that up. But I don't think it's that terribly hard to walk around with it without one. Just carry it (very carefully) like a binder tucked under you arm. Yea, I need to get a case because I'm asking for trouble, but how many of you put it in the case to walk between the living room and bedroom, etc? I just took mine on a road trip and hooked it up in the truck to use for music instead of taking all my cd's. Kept the screen turned all the way down and only iTunes going-got 4 hours on a battery charge one time and 5 1/2-6 hours another time. Otherwise battery seems to last about 2 1/2 to 3 hours on avg.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    seventeen here.

It's great. Perfect for my needs. Bought it last August.

I only carry it from dorm room to library and back, so size is not an issue. The screen is wonderful, it has great size. Really, really nice.

It has not had any hardware problems and it's fast. I don't run any graphic intensive apps and but it's great for everything I do (which is pretty much just doing the usual things plus running Mathematica, BBEdit, XCode and X11).
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I have one too, the 1.33ghz version. It's absolutely stunning and everythings been great, no problems.

I was watching a dvd the other day and the display is so gorgeous, it has real depth to it and beautiful rich colors, it's greatl to watch a dvd on the 17" display.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I got a 1.33ghz 17" ALU powerbook about a month ago. I got myself a red acmemade bag (definetly stands out in gray/black NYC.)

The bag definetly makes the laptop ALOT more manageable. It's basically the same size as the laptop. I take it back and forth from work to home almost every day and it's fine ( I do also carry a messenger bag that carries my books and the laptop power supply) but overall, it's not nearly as heavy as I expected it to be (a big concern since I graduated to it from a 12" ibook)

Overall, i'm very VERY happy. Bought a refurb unit off of the apple store online for $2499 and the trackpad button is kinda sticky stiff, but as soon as I can part with it for a few days Apple is willing to take it in and fix it.

Overall, no complaints. Speedy too! (I do java development in eclipse and play lots of games on it.) Got the iCurve and a mac pro keyboard and ms mouse (want more than one button) for home use.