Restoring anti-reflective coating on CRT monitors

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My mom has a 17" Apple Studio Display, the ADC CRT. At first it was pretty nice, but over time it has developed a huge number of scratches on the anti-reflective coating. It's very distracting. Luckily, my dad has bought her a used 22" Cinema display as an early birthday present, so she won't be needing her 17" CRT anymore. But I still wonder if it's possible to make the CRT usable anymore? In its current state, it's not worth the money to ship it anywhere. If I could somehow fix it so it could be useful again, it would be a big help. If I have to end up donating it to someone who could actually use it, that's fine too.

It would be nice if I could end up using it. Right now I have a pretty crappy Gateway EV700. It does the job, but it's not a very good monitor. If the ADC CRT didn't have those scratches, I'd take it in an instant, but I'd rather have the Gateway than the scratched Apple one. If there's any way to remove them I'd appreciate it.

If not, then I'd probably be willing to give it away to anyone in the Twin Cities area who needs it. It works fine, but the scratches are really quite bad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Yeah the scratches are getting bad in my monitor to, It irritates the hell out of me, But like in your case my monitor is not worth it to ship any place. 19 inch flat screen, some generic company, it cost like 150 bucks 4 years ago.

Anyways hope you find some help.