Pay attention, Apple ! Music is for listening.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am tired of searching the web for a complete Wi-Fi music player/ speakers combo. As much as I like my Ipod , and Mac, I still have to listen to my music on the tiny PB speakers or connect cables to LISTEN TO IT !

I want to listen to my Itunes music in the house. All I need is :

- A set of amplified stereo speakers.

- Small size.

- Be able to move around the house/room.

- Use Itunes to seamlessly play the music.

So.....

Give us a set of speakers with.

- 802.11g (airport Extreme ) networking.

- Plugable into house 220/110 V powerline.

- Integrated mp3/AAC decoder.( FairPlay protected)

- Airport Base Station like configuration software.

- Rendez-Vous IP assignement built-in (to prevent remote network streaming)

- White ( to match my Ipod)

And while you're at it, release the 802.11g Ipod proto I know you're working on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Well, if these rumors of an apple projector/set top box are true, it very well may have these capabilities you want.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    I agree completely. If I could plug my Bose home system into my iTunes playlists via 802.11, life would be great.

I would like an "iPod lite", theoretically, an 802.11 iPod-like receiver that let's me listen to my 802.11 home broadcasts. It could be half the size of the current mini-pod. Just a wireless receiver and audio guts. Simple. Or even better, set different frequencies on iTunes at the base station so that each person in the house can hear a different playtlist. Make it controllable via the already-perfect remote. Think of it as pirate radio from Hell via 802.11.

Just some thoughts...

• Reply 3 of 19
    I use my Tivo with the Media Option installed, which is connected to my home theater system. Set it up with a wireless network adapter and set it up to find your laptop's airport card.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Seriously, buy one of these and give it up already. Plug it into a real stereo. Nobody wants a crappy boombox that plays MP3s. And if they do, Samsung or some other manufacturer of low quality mp3 devices probably makes one.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Seriously, buy one of these and give it up already. Plug it into a real stereo. Nobody wants a crappy boombox that plays MP3s. And if they do, Samsung or some other manufacturer of low quality mp3 devices probably makes one.

hey lamename,

what if apple just allowed you to plug your iPod (via the large, highly capable port on the bottom) into any AirPort base station, and produced an inexpensive device with audio out ports and wireless guts?

then you could buy as many WiFi-A cards as you want, and plug them into any audio system with an input.

con.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

hey lamename,

what if apple just allowed you to plug your iPod (via the large, highly capable port on the bottom) into any AirPort base station, and produced an inexpensive device with audio out ports and wireless guts?

then you could buy as many WiFi-A cards as you want, and plug them into any audio system with an input.

con.

All the above concerns are valid.

But that´s not simple enough.

Imagine pluging these speakers into the wall.

One set in each desired room.

Then go to itunes (on your Mac, Powerbook and click on the icon "speakers")

A dropdown list appears with the assigned names of each in range set of speakers.

Drag a playlist on each one of them and presto.

Music all around.

Of course that each set in configurable right in Itunes with volume, bass and treble, start time etc etc.

PS: Sorry for the poor Photoshop work.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    What I really need is a bluetooth audio conector. Plug it in at the back of my stereo amp...par it up with my powerbook and.....tada....
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by farve

What I really need is a bluetooth audio conector. Plug it in at the back of my stereo amp...par it up with my powerbook and.....tada....

Sorry...

- Not enough range.

- Not enough bandwidth to stream different playlists to different rooms.

- Bluetooth is the RS-232 of the decade not a Multimedia channel.

Also this would also change the way people perceive their stereos.

This is more like Apple's way. Change paradigms.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

To be even more of a Luddite, may I suggest this. I have one on each of my stereos in which I plug my iPod. While not as technologically innovative as some of the neat ideas provided above, occasionally, sneaker-net still provides an adequate solution.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

Sorry...

- Not enough range.

- Not enough bandwidth to stream different playlists to different rooms.

- Bluetooth is the RS-232 of the decade not a Multimedia channel.

Also this would also change the way people perceive their stereos.

This is more like Apple's way. Change paradigms.

Ok there would be a limited range but as for an easy way to get rid of cabels it would suit me fine.

why would I want to stream different playlists to different rooms? I'm only listening to one track at a time.

Also what do you mean with RS-232 not a Mulitmedia channel?[B]
  • Reply 11 of 19
    " target="_blank">This is where it's at. The Soundbridge M1000 seems to be the best deal. It works with rendezvous to automatically display iTunes playlists or your complete library. Worth taking a look at.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by farve

[B]Ok there would be a limited range but as for an easy way to get rid of cabels it would suit me fine.

why would I want to stream different playlists to different rooms? I'm only listening to one track at a time.

Also what do you mean with RS-232 not a Mulitmedia channel?

farve.

Sorry if I seamed presumptuous.

Bluetooth is the wireless substitute of RS-232 ( a low speed cable conection used in PCs back when I was a teenager :-))

As to streaming to different rooms it's just an example)

- You could have a different tune in each room.

- Wake up in your bedroom to your favourite sounds.

- Have Nature sounds in your baby nursery.

Give choice to the user. That is what I was talking about.

Cheers.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

" target="_blank">This is where it's at. The Soundbridge M1000 seems to be the best deal. It works with rendezvous to automatically display iTunes playlists or your complete library. Worth taking a look at.

I noticed it before...

-Does not play Fairplay protected songs. :-)

-Does not apear as an option in Itunes :-)

-You still have to connect it to the stereo :-)

I know, I know... I'm too picky !
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

All the above concerns are valid.

But that´s not simple enough.

Imagine pluging these speakers into the wall.

One set in each desired room.

Then go to itunes (on your Mac, Powerbook and click on the icon "speakers")

A dropdown list appears with the assigned names of each in range set of speakers.

Drag a playlist on each one of them and presto.

Music all around.

Of course that each set in configurable right in Itunes with volume, bass and treble, start time etc etc.

PS: Sorry for the poor Photoshop work.

YES!

This is how it should work. PLEASE submit a full sketch of the system to Apple, maybe they'll do it.

Want to make it even cooler? Use power-line networking. The speakers are plugged in someplace for power anyway. Then there's no concern over the quality of RF transmission. Super-simple. Rendevous over AC.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    As to streaming to different rooms it's just an example)

- You could have a different tune in each room.

- Wake up in your bedroom to your favourite sounds.

- Have Nature sounds in your baby nursery.

Give choice to the user. That is what I was talking about.

Cheers.

Ok...I see what u meen and I agree that this would be a cool thing to be able to do. But wouldn't you agree that there needs to be a simple and cheep way to get rid of the audio cable from my otherwise portable laptop.

Your soulution would need: either special speakers or an advanced amp.

A little bluetooth(or any other wireless tech) thingamagig would integreat with my existing stereo.[B]
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

YES!

This is how it should work. PLEASE submit a full sketch of the system to Apple, maybe they'll do it.

Want to make it even cooler? Use power-line networking. The speakers are plugged in someplace for power anyway. Then there's no concern over the quality of RF transmission. Super-simple. Rendevous over AC.

If only we could be so lucky !:-)

I in fact use Homeplug ethernet in my house ( www.devolo.com ... see the German version and the Audio device which is very cool ... oh, and the wireless station that replaced my aging graphite Base station ) and still what I miss is the itunes integration. I want to plug in the speakers open itunes and Voilá !

Here's to Apple amazing us with something like this. ;-)
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

If only we could be so lucky !:-)

I in fact use Homeplug ethernet in my house ( www.devolo.com ... see the German version and the Audio device which is very cool ... oh, and the wireless station that replaced my aging graphite Base station ) and still what I miss is the itunes integration. I want to plug in the speakers open itunes and Voilá !

Here's to Apple amazing us with something like this. ;-)

Could this be it ?

Appleinsider rumor

It makes a lot of sense and it's the Apple way ...to have a complete system from organizing and buying Music (itunes) to listening (the missing Apple speakers).

And if the partner is indeed Bose, we're in for top quality audio stuff.

Discuss
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

I noticed it before...

-Does not play Fairplay protected songs. :-)

-Does not apear as an option in Itunes :-)

-You still have to connect it to the stereo :-)

I know, I know... I'm too picky !

Yeah I think your being too picky on that last point. After all you just have to hook it up to the stereo once. The other two points I think are very valid. You want something that plays AAC songs bought from iTMS and can work from iTunes.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

Yeah I think your being too picky on that last point. After all you just have to hook it up to the stereo once. The other two points I think are very valid. You want something that plays AAC songs bought from iTMS and can work from iTunes.

;-)

The SlimDevices player is a very good idea. too bad it's very ugly, IMHO. And to have yet another remote it's not good for me.

Also the last point referred to having the possibility of deploying in your music just by plugging and unplugging the Apple Powered Speakers all over the house.

Another idea is to have the ipod with Airport also but (here is the catch) it would only work as a remote control for the speakers, setting start/stop, volume and bass/treble. The setup and playlist assignment would be entirely done with itunes.

...Must have Apple Speakers ...now....