New iPod Dock 'thing' on Target.com

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was looking around on Target.com for any premature mention of the iTMS prepaid cards that I read rumors about when I came across this;

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00009KO3A

What the heck is that in the dock?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    It's an iPod with its head cut off by some photo editor.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Now that you mention it, it does look funny at the top. But why on earth would they erase the top half, put the background back in, and use it on the site? The photo is for the dock itself, so if they don't use the regular iPod picture they have, why not a picture of just the dock?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Yep he's right, Look at this enlargement

• Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Extras.rsrc

Now that you mention it, it does look funny at the top. But why on earth would they erase the top half, put the background back in, and use it on the site? The photo is for the dock itself, so if they don't use the regular iPod picture they have, why not a picture of just the dock?

this is done frequently (for other products). it shows the purpose of the device, but makes clear that the iPod itself is not included.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Q: Why doesn't it just show the dock itself?

A: Because the iPod dock is also sold individually and putting half an iPod in one is a bit of visual association. That image comes from the Amazon.com product page for the standalone dock originally. (Target is a partner.) If it had an entire iPod in it, stupid people might think it comes with one.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    This image came out when the iPod Mini rumors were flying around
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Q: Why doesn't it just show the dock itself?

A: Because the iPod dock is also sold individually and putting half an iPod in one is a bit of visual association. That image comes from the Amazon.com product page for the standalone dock originally. (Target is a partner.) If it had an entire iPod in it, stupid people might think it comes with one.

So then, by this logic, wouldn't a stupid person think this "half-ipod" thing came with the dock?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

So then, by this logic, wouldn't a stupid person think this "half-ipod" thing came with the dock?

Yes. This thread exists for a reason, doesn't it?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Yes. This thread exists for a reason, doesn't it?

So that shows my point. Why not just show an empty dock? If you show something in the dock, some people assume it is a product, and it might potentially come with. So what is the point of Target (or Amazon) showing a "half-ipod" vs a full one? I guess I am just not getting why they would take the time to photoshop this, when they could have equally threw up a disclaimer.