Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
currently using panther 10.3.2,

just wondering if it's ok to delete the folders:

Application (Mac OS 9)

Desktop (Mac OS 9)

System Folder(Mac OS 9)

i am a switcher and not using OS9 anyway,

when I upgraded to panther, these OS 9 folder stays there.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by firehc

currently using panther 10.3.2,

just wondering if it's ok to delete the folders:

Application (Mac OS 9)

Desktop (Mac OS 9)

System Folder(Mac OS 9)

i am a switcher and not using OS9 anyway,

when I upgraded to panther, these OS 9 folder stays there.

thanks

Perfectly safe, yes.

Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Safe...yes

good idea...probably not

If you ever need to boot into OS 9 (or boot classic) again, you may be in some trouble. Don't trash them unless you absolutely need the HD space. Burn them on to CD, just don't trash them completely.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Safe...yes

good idea...probably not

If you ever need to boot into OS 9 (or boot classic) again, you may be in some trouble. Don't trash them unless you absolutely need the HD space. Burn them on to CD, just don't trash them completely.

Ahh Brad couldn't have said it better himself...well that's not true

Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Apple made this a little tricky. I guess they want to safeguard the OS 9 folder for that rare chance that you might still need it in the future. What are you going to do if next week you suddenly need a program for work that still only runs in Classic? You'd be in a heap of trouble!

I can't remember the last time I used Classic. It's probably been several months. Still, I *do* keep my old System Folder on my drive for the event that I may need it in the future even though I've been strictly a Mac OS X user for three years. My Classic System Folder only takes up 140 MB. That's piddle compared to my total drive space of 200+ GB.

So, you have to ask yourself, is it really so important to remove Classic just to get back ~140 MB of drive space?

Incentive for removing it:

+ Frees up a tiny bit of drive space.

+ You get the satisfaction of knowing that you're really 100% OS X now.

+ One less icon on your hard drive? Maybe you don't like that orange 9.

Reasons for keeping it:

+ It only takes up a relatively tiny amount of disk space.

+ It remains inert when not in use. It doesn't negatively impact your system at all other than in the space it takes on your drive.

+ You have the safety and security of knowing that you can still run Classic apps that you may run across in the future.

If you still are sure you want it gone, here's how you can trick the system to let you delete it. Open the Classic System Folder, select all, drag to trash. Force-quit (relaunch) the Finder. Now you can remove the folder itself without warning.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps also
  • Reply 4 of 9
    thanks for the advices, I ll keep it.

• Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Ahh Brad couldn't have said it better himself...well that's not true

Hope this helps also

sorry, i came late

And well if space is an issue (and aesthetics either) just create a .dmg, compress it, put the folder wherever you want, and done. than, you just have to decompress your classic again for the rare cases you might need it

works without a hitch, thanks to brad again.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    FWIW, if you ever format a hard drive from scratch, using UFS instead of HFS will prevent OS X from installing any OS 9.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

FWIW, if you ever format a hard drive from scratch, using UFS instead of HFS will prevent OS X from installing any OS 9.

Yes, because Classic (as well as other things) simply cannot work on UFS. You should see this as a clue that using UFS may cause other problems down the road too. HFS+ is the default for a reason...

So, just know you've been warned.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    If OS 9 is left on the computer and is bootable.. it is a security risk. OS 9 will allow a user to edit files without regard to the hfs+ permissions in place.

Not too bad if you keep your computer physically safe and dont have to worry about other people poking through your stuff.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    AsLan is correct, but it shouldn't be a huge deal. All Mac OSs before X had the user running as root, OS X is the first to actually protect the system from people who don't know what they are doing.