Eratic Network Behaviour

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
15" 1.25GHz PB OS X10.3.1 On University Intranet

Networking has always been the most erratic activity I have tried to perform on my Mac. Even when I had 2 identical and new 15" PBs, I had difficulties implementing AE rendezvous.

But this is a problem I am having on my University (ie Win.dows) network.

1) Clicking on the "Network" icon in Finder sometimes just gives the Spinning Beachball or an 'Original item to alias not found' kind of error alert.

2) When I can connect, the local workgroups sometimes show up in the Finder and sometimes don't. Some disappear and then reappear. Then, they mostly just show as empty when I click on them or I get the following error message if I click on a Computer in a Workgroup:

Quote:

"The alias *[Name of computer you are trying to access on the network]* could not be opened because the original item cannot be found".

3) Pretend all these problems were solved, when Finder asks to "Connect" and then a dialog asks for a "Username" and "Password", wtf am I supposed to type. Do I only have access to other people's Shared Folders if they give me a password/create an account for me? That can't be, cos sometimes I can just hit enter when this dialog comes up and I have access...

... Erratic

Help Please \

Edit: Inserted exact error message

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

[snip]

3) Pretend all these problems were solved, when Finder asks to to "Connect" and then a dialog asks for a "Username" and "Password", wtf am I supposed to type. Do I only have access to other people's Shared Folders if they give me a password/create an account for me? That can't be, cos sometimes I can just hit enter when this dialog comes up and I have access...

It's possible that some people may have password protected their HDs and thats why you need a username/password to access them.

Sorry I can't help out with the rest.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks DM.

If it helps, I used Network Util to ping another computer on my local network. The attempt was successful

Code:

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max = 0.543/0.573/0.631 ms

but that computer still won't show up in the finder. In the Finder, I get a list of local workgroups, but no individual computers show up in them.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I get that on my home network. I had my laptop automatically connect to my other servers and mount them on the desktop. Sometimes the computer would hang until a disconnect window popped up.I got rid of that feature somehow and that doesn't happen anymore.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Upgrade to 10.3.2. It helps networking TREMENDOUSLY.

Aside from that, the password/username box always appears, regardless of the password-protected state of the server. If it is available to guests, then a blank password will work.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Upgrade to 10.3.2. It helps networking TREMENDOUSLY.

Yeah, I was reading the documentation for 10.3.2 at Apple Support and it noted several networking improvements. I was backing up in preparation to upgrade just now.

Quote:

Aside from that, the password/username box always appears, regardless of the password-protected state of the server. If it is available to guests, then a blank password will work.

I see.

Thanks. S'pose I'll report my findings after upgrading to '.2
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Have just installed 10.3.2. Initial network connection is much more stable.

Hope this lasts!