How well does Halo run on a dual 2 G5?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
One of my friends has a dual 2 G5 with 2 gigs of ram,radeon 9800 pro and OSX 10.3.2. He wants me to find out how well Halo will work on his system. Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Some would claim it runs really well. Others I have seen complain that performance even on a dual 2 GHz G5 is pretty awful.

Since the publisher of the game refuses to release a demo, you'll have to either borrow it from a friend, buy it and hope it runs okay, or pirate it. I wouldn't stake $50 that Halo runs well, because it's such an awful port of the game.

My advice? If he wants Halo, get an XBox. If he wants a first person shooter, get Unreal Tournament 2003 (and also 2004). 2k3 is really cheap now and will run like butter on the machine if he applies all the patches. 2k4 might be a bit slower, but the final version should still run really well on that computer.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    WHOA.

Depending on settings...since some are obviously not optimized -AT ALL- on the G5, some need to be turned off. Anti-aliasing should be off...and I turned everything to medium on my G5 1.6Ghz ATi 9600, 1.256 GB RAM.

My machine just throws it around like its nothing at all. It even looks very similar to factory defaults.

Have no idea why they released the game on the settings it has, as those settings, the way they are implemented, don't work at all.

-walloo.

I'd say buy it...you won't regret it, especially if your a marathon fan.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Some would claim it runs really well. Others I have seen complain that performance even on a dual 2 GHz G5 is pretty awful.

Since the publisher of the game refuses to release a demo, you'll have to either borrow it from a friend, buy it and hope it runs okay, or pirate it. I wouldn't stake $50 that Halo runs well, because it's such an awful port of the game.

My advice? If he wants Halo, get an XBox. If he wants a first person shooter, get Unreal Tournament 2003 (and also 2004). 2k3 is really cheap now and will run like butter on the machine if he applies all the patches. 2k4 might be a bit slower, but the final version should still run really well on that computer.

He already has the Xbox version of halo(but he just HAS to get the mac version).He even has Unreal Tournament 2003. He's the most lucky most rich most jealousy inducing kid I know.\ So even his high-end G5 won't run Halo well?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

All the X-Box does is has all the settings turned down, the only way the XBox's 733mhz processor will do what it needs to do.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    i'm sure that dual setup works fine. i havent experimented, but i saw someone try unreal or something like that on a single 1.6 with 256mb of ram (adeon 9600), and it was actually ok, so i'm sure a dual 2 with 2gigs (radeon 9800) is fine.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

All the X-Box does is has all the settings turned down, the only way the XBox's 733mhz processor will do what it needs to do.

Wrong. If you take a look at the XBox version, there are all these great effects you don't see in the PC/Mac version unless you turn all the settings way up. Look at the Master Chief's visor for instance. Unless you have a very advanced video card, his visor will be a non-reflective black, rather than the shiny gold color it is in the XBox version. If you look at other stuff like that maybe you'll realize that the XBox version looks identical to the PC version run at maximum settings, except since it's on a TV, the resolution is really low. Therefore the XBox can handle it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I played it on a SP 867MHz G4, with a GerForce 3 TI, and I think it runs fine. I never had any lag.