Could iPod minis simply become the iPod, period?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
If they offered them, say, in a few more colors (or patterns), and fitted them with larger hard drives?

They really are nice, sleek devices and they do something really weird: they make the current white iPods look a bit old hat and dated. And a bit bulky (in much the same way the iMac DV was a nicer-looking, sleeker and more refined take on the original tray-loading iMacs).

Do the white ones use a larger-sized drive?

Are there any reasons - of a technical nature - that 15, 20 or 40GB drives could not be used with the iPod mini body? If I bought a 20GB iPod, I think I'd much prefer it in the smaller, sleeker body of the mini (and enjoy the color choices).

Does anyone think this will ever come to be? Will the iPod, one day, just be the size/shape of the mini? Are those 1" drives used in those?

Or will they remain two separate, distinct products? I'd love to BTO a 20GB silver or green one...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Do the white ones use a larger-sized drive?

Yes. The iPod mini has the highest capacity 1" drive on the market. Obviously, that will change...

Don't say that my 40GB iPod looks dated and bulky either, or I'll BAN YOU!

• Reply 2 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I guess I could just wait until the minis are sporting 15GB drives...

Put the ban stick away...all iPods look nice. But those little ones sure are extra pleasing to the eye.

But seriously, I'm going to be getting a 20GB iPod next month, most likely. I've got 12GB of music (with all my CDs, downloads, iTMS, etc.), so I think I've pretty much leveled off...that extra 8GB is a nice buffer that I'll probably never completely fill up because, from here out, it'll pretty much be iTMS individual songs and downloads. And, of course, Letterpress Opry albums.

The 40GB is a bit thicker, front to back, than the 15 and 20, right?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

[...]I think I've pretty much leveled off...that extra 8GB is a nice buffer that I'll probably never completely fill up because, from here out, it'll pretty much be iTMS individual songs and downloads. And, of course, Letterpress Opry albums.

Flattery will get you everyw- I mean, thanks.

Quote:

The 40GB is a bit thicker, front to back, than the 15 and 20, right?

No! It's differently svelte, dammit.

By about 3mm.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Flattery will get you everyw- I mean, thanks.

No! It's differently svelte, dammit.

By about 3mm.

hehe... differently svelte, that's a good one

I have both (15 and 40) and the 2.7mm+ difference in thickness is barely noticeable and no doubt offset by the more than double storage capacity.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Ugh, I want the size and design of the mini.... but with 60GB

I guess I can wait until 2007.

It will be interesting to see what the 4G iPods are like. If they can find a 60GB drive, and adopt the Clickwheel, maybe make the screen nicer/crisper... I would be pretty happy!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    one day, the iPod mini design will probably replace the current pods, once the capacity bulks up on the 1" drives

but I think that'll be a ways off.

long after my iPod's battery dies in 18 months
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Just add a nice toaster to them... Think about that... Portable toast. Breakfast will never be the same, AND, you can always have a warm pop-tart!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    To respond to the original question, of course the ipod mini's will become the ipod. We're rapidly approaching the point where even audiophiles won't be able to fill a "big ipod". The iPod has been out a little over two years and has gone from 5 to 40 GB, not to mention a decrease in size. Imagine where it will be in two more years, 100GB? The only way that the big iPod will stick around is if it changes significantly - ie video playback, use of the current tech to make a PDA, etc. Not to mention the fact that future audio codecs will bring better quality and/or smaller size, allowing us to fit even more songs on a drive.

In my case, I'd love a combo cell phone/mini ipod, but somehow I doubt that's going to happen. I'll be keeping my 30GB until the mini's get to at least 15 GB.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    The "clickwheel" is a definite improvement over the 3G button design.

When driving, I constantly brush the wrong button because of their sensitivity.

I think the clickwheel would work a lot better in "feel only" usage conditions.

• Reply 10 of 13
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Honestly, I think the 4G iPods will take a design cue from the mini. Use the mini's nav wheel (which I agree, in theory, is superior to the wheel+4 on the existing iPods), round the edges like the mini, and replace the chromed metal backside with brushed aluminum.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Ha...I WOULD like to see a white iPod mini: the exact size and shape of the mini, BUT the exact covering/texture of the white iPods (glossy white plastic on front, chrome on back).

Best of both worlds!

"Looks like" the iPod everyone knows (white with chrome backing), but gets to be small and compact.

Ooh...nice!

They should've just done that!

• Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

IThey really are nice, sleek devices and they do something really weird: they make the current white iPods look a bit old hat and dated. And a bit bulky (in much the same way the iMac DV was a nicer-looking, sleeker and more refined take on the original tray-loading iMacs).

Yesterday I saw my friend's 1G 5gig model lying on his desk. It was incredible to look at. I remember when he got it, I was so impressed. It was so slick. Compared to the 3G 15gig that I got a few months ago, it's a box. I was actually surprised because I didn't remember the hard edges and that layer of clear plastic. And the SS scroll wheel is so much slicker. Anyway, does anyone know when the minis are going to hit the stores? I dropped into KoP the other day, hoping to get my first real look at them, but was disappointed to find nothing "new" on the shelves.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    This friday, there's even a countdown for you at apple.com