Poor College Kid NEEDS Computer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey, I am looking to purchase at a low cost, a first generation G4 Tower Powermac system, or a G4 cube system, or any model after 2000 iMac. Basically the system needs to be airport capable, as at home I use an aiport connection and will not be able to use the computer without it. I am in need of a desktop computer for my dorm room so if anyone would be able to help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    i wish i could help... just a word of advice--sometimes universities have crazy deals where the sell off old computers for REALLY cheap. try to find out if your college is having one. the last one we had at my university, some guy got a g4 pmac for way under 1000 bucks.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Just to clarify, ipodandimac, there are plenty of PowerMac G4s for "way under $1000." Early models are much cheaper, on the order of $350-$500.

If you need to go as cheap as possible, try looking around on eBay for a slot loading iMac. Because iMacs have very few upgrades possible, and aren't compatible with Quartz Extreme, they have dropped in price by a lot in the last year. I figure you could pick up a 400 MHz one for $250 or $300, then add an Airport card and adapter for $50 or so.

The earliest Airport-compatible PowerMacs are the "Gigabit Ethernet" models, which come in 400 MHz, dual 450 MHz, and dual 500 MHz configurations. If you get an earlier PowerMac, you'll have to get a wireless PCI card instead of a regular Airport card.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

The earliest Airport-compatible PowerMacs are the "Gigabit Ethernet" models, which come in 400 MHz, dual 450 MHz, and dual 500 MHz configurations. If you get an earlier PowerMac, you'll have to get a wireless PCI card instead of a regular Airport card.

Actually, the first Airport-compatible PowerMacs are the Sawtooth or "AGP" models - the second-generation G4s.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Still don't have an offer for a Computer though.....

And I don't really trust eBay, I've been screwed before, and I'd rather make a deal with a known Mac user.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Have you looked at MacOfAllTrades.com? They are the cheapest place for used Macs. You pay a little bit of a premium over eBay but they are a real company and don't charge outrageous prices like Powermax.com or others used Mac dealers. I bought my 350Mhz Blue and White G3 there for only $249+s/h and have been very pleased with it.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Ummm, you guys, I think he wants us to GIVE him one. Could somebody run down the hall and check and see if we still have a couple in the Prize Closet?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Ok... a bunch of AI t-shirts, some old eyecandy, wait how the hell did all of Luca Rescigno's posts get in here? Anyway, I don't see any old Macs... sorry.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    No, I want to purchase one. However my budget won't allow any excess of $250-$350..... :-\\ :-( And I refuse to even look at a Wintel box.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Airport compatible (with the $10 adapter), but $399.99:

http://www.macofalltrades.com/produc...MCV1XESV2J41M4
  • Reply 10 of 17
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tpmidd

No, I want to purchase one. However my budget won't allow any excess of $250-$350..... :-\\ :-( And I refuse to even look at a Wintel box.

So... quite obviously you need a lintel box...

or Lindows to be specific

Lindows PC
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Yah but he needs an airport connection.... so a WiFi card will cost extra.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Hmmm, let's list the reasons why he shouldn't buy the Lindows box.

1. No software runs on it

2. It's the worst chip ever made

3. The OS sucks worse than Windows (and as we all know, that's hard to do)

4. Nothing is industry standard

5. The company will be out of business soon because they are being sued by MS (tell me you didn't see that coming)

6. It's the worlds worst computer.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I'd say just get a slot loading iMac. eBay has plenty. I've heard some bad things about Macofalltrades, but I haven't dealt with them myself so I can't say for sure.

If you buy from a Power Seller on eBay, you're probably in pretty good shape. Here's a possibility.

Just go on eBay and search for iMacs. Look for ones that are 400 MHz or faster.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

5. The company will be out of business soon because they are being sued by MS (tell me you didn't see that coming)

While I an not approving of DMBand0026's exact post... I do agree with him because unless you are into Linux or want to take the plunge then stick with a Mac. Just get an old iMac 350 and an Airport card w/ adaptor. It will not cost much... maybe a little more than the Lindows box but you can run OSX on it and it will do everything you need when it comes to school work.

That said... on to bashing DMBand0026's post... Sigh.

1. There is alot of software that will run on it... just look at the click n' run page... http://www.lindows.com/lindows_products_categories.php

2. The 1.4 Ghz Duron will whoop any Mac at that price point. Sorry but for 200 the best used (ie, not new like the Lindows box) mac you can get on ebay is well this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4603

3. That is your opinion, not fact, many would argue that any Linux distro no matter how lame is better than Windows... Plus it is more stable.

4. Sit on a tack! Linux has support for many industry standards!

5. They did get sued... and MS won... that's why their name will be changed to Lin--s (Lin[slash]) in some countrys. Lindows will stick here in Canada and the US. They are not out of business.

6. I don't know about that... My Performa 6200CD would beg to differ... It was my fathers worst investment and nearly turned us off Macs. The processor is not upgradeable, it was slow for it's time, you can't run Linux on it (hehe), it can only take 64 megs of ram, it had slow disc access, there was no room to upgrade, it cost us far too much for what it offered.

But stay away from the Lindows box anyway... that is a nightmare waithing to happen.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    If I wanted Linux I wouldn't be looking for a Mac. If I wanted Window's, I'd head butt a fire-axe. To be honest I don't trust eBay, so I'm still going to be checking this thread to so if anyone offer's me their system. Thanks again, ~Tim
  • Reply 16 of 17
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

whatever...

7. It's the only suggestion anyone suggested in the stated price range $250 - $350.

also.. if you dont want a linux computer, that's cool, it was just a suggestion, can we keep the linux flames to the linux threads...

edit: ahhh just read your post tim.. good luck.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    The best I could offer you is an iBook SE (466 G3)... interested ?

There's also an iMac (266 G3, tray loader).