Buying Advice Needed - How does new line affect the old

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm finally need a new computer, gee whilikers all these crazy things people do with their computers these days, and darn it i'd like to do them too. Unfortunately Windows won the antitrust suit and their newest software won't let you do anything in peace unless windows gets to decide the terms (example: Me "I want to turn this into a Quicktime video" Windows "NO, NO, You want it to be .MPV" Me "No it will be better in Quicktime" Windows "F^%$ you I'm going to die and you'll lose everything, ha ha ha" Me "Sniffle") So you get the point. I want a dual chip g5 and I want it cheap. Cheaper anyway. Which brings me to my question. Does the price of the current line of PowerMacs, historically, go down when a new line is introduced? The rumor mill says a new line will be introduced soon, but I'm wondering how that will affect the Dual G5 I've been wanting. Any longtime mac watchers know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cocktailart

I'm finally need a new computer, gee whilikers all these crazy things people do with their computers these days, and darn it i'd like to do them too. Unfortunately Windows won the antitrust suit and their newest software won't let you do anything in peace unless windows gets to decide the terms (example: Me "I want to turn this into a Quicktime video" Windows "NO, NO, You want it to be .MPV" Me "No it will be better in Quicktime" Windows "F^%$ you I'm going to die and you'll lose everything, ha ha ha" Me "Sniffle") So you get the point. I want a dual chip g5 and I want it cheap. Cheaper anyway. Which brings me to my question. Does the price of the current line of PowerMacs, historically, go down when a new line is introduced? The rumor mill says a new line will be introduced soon, but I'm wondering how that will affect the Dual G5 I've been wanting. Any longtime mac watchers know.

The price of the G5's after the new release will go down beacuse...

a.They will be older,inferior(still kickass) machines

b.they will be sold through refurb even cheaper

So you should be able to get G5's for cheaper.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    You'll need to act quick to get the good deals on old models, lots of people wait for the same thing and they get scooped up quick. That being said there have been some decent deals on current G5 in the "Special Deals" (aka refurb and open box) section of the Apple Store lately. Also some of the big mac dealers like clubmac, mac connection, smalldog etc will have refurb or open box stock from time to time.