About Pentiums

pbpb
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With all the recent discussions about the new G5s, PowerTune and possible G5 Powerbooks, I would like to ask for a comparison between the desktop Pentium 4 (brought recently up to 3.4 GHz), the Pentium 4-M and Pentium M processors. In what the mobile Pentium 4 differs from the desktop variant at equal frequency? Are not the same and one thing? I am under the impression that almost all the parameters (caches, bus, etc.) are the same, so one would expect(?) comparable performance.

Now what about Pentium M? Why (it is said) it is so much powerful than Pentium 4-M at equal frequency? How its power saving features compare to PowerTune? Norman Rohrer, senior technical staff member at IBM, said yesterday that PowerTune will allow the new G5s to be used even in notebooks and networking equipment. How the Pentium M's processing units compare to the ones of a 970FX with PowerTune?

Thanks,

PB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    It bugs me(mildly) that Intel label the Pentium-M as 'Intel Mobile Pentium-M'
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

It bugs me(mildly) that Intel label the Pentium-M as 'Intel Mobile Pentium-M'

Does this implies there exists a desktop Pentium-M? I would say this must be Pentium III .
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Well that's the thing, clearly the pentium-M stands for Pentium-Mobile(or mobility) So making the point to call it the Mobile Pentium-M is just needless marketing redundancy.