iSync 1.4?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey all!

iSync 1.4 just showed up in my Software Update (at 6.6 MB). Am I just behind the times, or is this a new update?

In any case, it's installing now ...

BTW, here's the blurb:

iSync lets you manage your contacts, calendars, To Do lists, and Safari bookmarks across multiple Mac OS X computers and devices (such as an iSync-compatible mobile phone, Palm OS device, or iPod), so you always have your most current information with you. To sync a Palm OS device, you need to install the iSync Palm Conduit version 1.2 or later.

iSync 1.4 includes support for more Symbian OS smart phones and the iPod mini, as well as stability improvements.

Before you install iSync 1.4, you must install iCal 1.5.1 or later. To download the latest version of iCal, visit www.apple.com/ical.

If you are using Mac OS X version 10.3 and plan to synchronize a Bluetooth mobile phone, you need to have Bluetooth version 1.5 or later installed. To download it, use Software Update (in System Preferences). If you have an earlier version of Mac OS X, visit www.apple.com/isync to download the appropriate Bluetooth version.

-J

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Right, it's a new one.

Moving to Digital Hub.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I'm still waiting for OTA (over the air) sync. Bluetooth is fun, but I want to sync across the country via cellular network! How long will we have to wait?

Harald? Care to comment on iSync 1.4 and what its future might hold?

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    IT FINALLY SUPPORTS MY NOKIA 6600!!!

Took damn long enough. And, now, it synced 800 address on my Address Book and my 250addresses in my Phone and I have doubles n triples of all my entries *GROOOOAAAANNNNNNN*
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I have doubles n triples of all my entries *GROOOOAAAANNNNNNN*

You could always reset devices using the information on your computer (assuming that IT doesn't have multiples too) and that should fix your problem.

If your computer does have multiples, I'd suggest shoring up all the entries on your computer (for iCal and Address Book) and THEN reset devices using info from your Mac. I had to do this recently and it's really the quickest and easiest way to put all your info. in the right.

From then on, ONLY update one entry in one place. While it may be tempting to change something in multiple places or to change two different things in the same entry on two devices (did that make sense?), this will mess things up for you.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well I sync 3 macs and a Treo 600 and I make changes at whatever machine I am sitting at and I don't have any problems with duplicates. There is some issue with new entries made on the 'phone but I can't think what it is right now.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Well, all those entries carry a common identification of sorts, and when a difference comes along on one of the entries that's already been identified around the systems, the change is made to all the entries with that I.D. and that's it.

When you synced your phone for the first time, the systems saw new entries with new I.D.s EVEN THOUGH the names and numbers may have been the same as entries you already have. Because those new I.D.s existed, the systems shared it and synced them as if they were new entries. Hence the multiple entries of the same information.

It's a damned confusing thing that's frustrated me at times, too. Sometimes you have to really think about stuff relating to all this before you do it or you can get in trouble. That's part of the reason why on the first sync, the iSync window for that new device asks what to do on the first sync. Usually you'd want to overwrite whatever's on that device with the already existing entries or else duplication occurs throughout all the systems.

Make sense? Clear as mud?