How do you Share Files over a Network?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
15" 1.25 GHz MacOSX 10.3.2.

In WinXP, for any file/folder you can Right Click, then choose "Properties" (or something), and choose to make the file/folder available for others on the local subnet. Is there really no equivalent for this on a Mac?!

Do I really have to *copy* files to my Public Folder to make them available to others, therefore wasting time and disk space?! I want to get file-sharing on the network to work because my friends won't be bothered (like me) to learn about how FTP would work.

Lets say I wanted to share 10GB of music with a guy on the other side of the building (I'm in a band, pretend ), can't I just go to my Music Folder and check some box to make it available on the network? Or do I have to copy it to my Public Folder?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Hmmm.....

Try putting an alias of whatever folder, or file into your Public folder. Your Mac will have to be on for the other person to acess it because the alias will not work.... Would that be ok in your situation? Otherwise I do not think there is any other way that i know of. See what others say. I AM NOT SURE so see what others say.

Hope this helps.

Hey, Brad, he could help!!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Nope Aliases won't be followed by default. And it's a good thing, too. Imagine an alias that has another alias within...

Instead download a program called SharePoints. It is a little clumsy, but it gets the job done.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    You can also change the permissions of your Music folder to make it public. Just check what permissions are set as on the current Public folder and mirror those on your Music folder. However, a word of caution, this may open up your computer more than you want to. Be careful.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Agent Macintosh

...Try putting an alias of whatever folder, or file into your Public folder...

I thought of that too, but as bauman says, it doesn't work. Thanks for the try though.

Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

...download a program called SharePoints. It is a little clumsy, but it gets the job done.

Hmm. I'll try with that. Thanks.

Unless I'm missing something, sharing files on a network puts a major downer on Apple's 'ease of use' mantra. (Unless its on purpose... Music sharing and the such - but WinXP can do it so easily, so...?)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

...However, a word of caution, this may open up your computer more than you want to. Be careful.

Eek. Like, What d'you mean?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Eek. Like, What d'you mean?

Well, someone who knows more than I can probably elaborate on this a bit more, but I'll take a crack at it.

When you have a folder who's contents are public, that gives anyone on your network access to the folder. I don't know how big of a problem that is (if you set the permissions for "read only" for everyone but yourself) it may not be that big of a deal. I just wanted to cover my butt before I gave you advice that might screw something up. Like I said, it may not be a big deal, but I don't know enough to tell you for sure.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I've used SharePoints with MacOS X 10.2.X without any problems.