If Apple released PowerMac speed-bumps tomorrow...?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
How long do you think it would be before they were shipping? If they introduced the new models tomorrow in the lineup, would we end up waiting 6-9 weeks for them to even ship, or would it be more like instantaneous, ready to ship in a few business days. I'm not familiar with the history of this sort of thing, and if it's going to be weeks before they ship, I'd rather just order one of the current models now.

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Depends on the revision. If all we get is a mere 2.4 Ghz top-end now, I expect shipping times to be near-instant. If it's 3 Ghz, I'd expect to wait a month or two.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    It also depends on how much stock they have. They know that many people are waiting for this revision. Many people = need for large stock. Now here is something that would be cool. New Macs shipping now on the 2 low end with the dual 3Ghz shipping in 6 weeks.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Six to nine weeks may have been the standard with Motorola G4s, but IBM definitely has their stuff together. It's just a matter of Apple making sure their process can handle getting stuff on time - in case they have bottlenecks in there as per the nature of Motorola.

Also, as long as there is no other school like Virginia Tech being put to the front of the line for another PR opportunity. Number 2 supercomputer anyone?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Six to nine weeks may have been the standard with Motorola G4s, but IBM definitely has their stuff together. It's just a matter of Apple making sure their process can handle getting stuff on time - in case they have bottlenecks in there as per the nature of Motorola.

Also, as long as there is no other school like Virginia Tech being put to the front of the line for another PR opportunity. Number 2 supercomputer anyone?

It is odd that not a lot about the new configuration is know. The new VT SuperComputer is Apple's way to boast even more.

Since they have already started selling PM's from the first, I wonder if that means they have already recieved the new X-Serves, or if their is something else Apple and VT are cooking up, i.e. more machines, faster machines than we know about, etc. etc.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    sounds logical---

i never thought that they're already shipping dual 2's, and if the dual 2 becomes the low end mac in the new lineup, --- well, assuming no MAJOR internal changes, they'll probobly ship sooner rather than later.

Well, I guess I'll hold out a little longer...

i'm working on a short 3d animated film that I'm modeling and rendering on a Dual AMD box, and I'm going to bring it over to the Mac and do post in Shake, but I'm still chugging on a G4 466 with 512 mb RAM. I figure my logic involves waiting till all the rendering on the PC is done before i bring it over and do all the post afterwards - So i give myself about 3-4 weeks before rending is finished on the PC. Essentially I'd like to have the new G5 just in time to do post, but I can logically wait it out, i guess...\
  • Reply 6 of 20
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    I would say about a week if the revision is to 2.4GHz and about 4 weeks if the revision is up to around 3GHz.\
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I will say this. I am ready to buy 2 as soon as they are shipping. With 20"+ displays. so come on apple, get with it!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    A month or two if it's dual 3s for the Best model. A week or two for dual 2.5ers.

Comeon, Apple, give me a dual 3 before college starts & a G5 'book.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Hmm...How close are we to the launch.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    i'm giving apple until about mid march for a release of new PM upgrades - after that I cant imagine apple would release anything before the big update to dual 3's. Just doesnt seem logical.

so like i said - I'll bet we'll see upgrades (if they're in fact coming) within the next 3 weeks - otherwise we'll be waiting long into summer...
  • Reply 11 of 20
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The only time there's a real delay is if they announce new stuff at an expo-type event. When they press-release speed-bumps, I believe they've almost always been pretty much immediate availability.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    How many more threads are going to be started on this subject. I vote for a sticky... New powermacs... when...
  • Reply 13 of 20
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

How many more threads are going to be started on this subject. I vote for a sticky... New powermacs... when...

Tell me about it...

You know things are getting REALLY pathetic when threads get started that SPECULATE about the SPECULATED shipping time of a SPECULATED (or just plain made up in this case) new hardware release...

Talk about a totally insane thread...

But what the heck...

If Apple releases new PowerMacs today @ 1:00pm PT then they should ship 'same day'

Now, if Apple releases new PowerMacs today @ 1:45pm PT then 'smart money' says they won't ship for a few weeks (all cfgs)

But! If Apple releases new PowerMacs today @ 2:13pm PT then EVERYONE knows that ALL (but the top end) will ship 'same day' but the top end will be delayed a few weeks...

Finally if Apple holds off till TOMORROW (doesn't matter what 'tomorrow') then everything I stated above should STILL hold true but you just gotta REVERSE everything...

Got it? Good!

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Apple is all about vaporware this past year... or pretty close to it. Seems like just about every product has been introduced at least a month before shipping. Ah, for the days when you could got to the store that day...
  • Reply 15 of 20
    bzbz Posts: 40member
    I am sorry, but that is totally unfair.

"Vaporware - Programs or program features announced by a vendor that never materialize."

Yes, the annouce things in advance but as far as I have seen they usually ship them BEFORE they said they would.

As for shipping times on the RevB, most RevBs ship when they come out, no wait.

BZ

Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

Apple is all about vaporware this past year... or pretty close to it. Seems like just about every product has been introduced at least a month before shipping. Ah, for the days when you could got to the store that day...

• Reply 16 of 20
    How does the AppleStor handle product switchovers?

I.e. what will happen if a new model is released before an order has shipped? What are the odds of getting the newer model at the lowest price tag?

I know this is a PowerMac thread, yet I am asking the question as I am about to order a PowerBook which I feel needs an update too any day now

Pierre
  • Reply 17 of 20
    bzbz Posts: 40member
    From what I have heard, if your order has not shipped, you will be contacted with the option of moving to the update at no additional charge.

BZ

Quote:

Originally posted by pierre74

I.e. what will happen if a new model is released before an order has shipped? What are the odds of getting the newer model at the lowest price tag?

I know this is a PowerMac thread, yet I am asking the question as I am about to order a PowerBook which I feel needs an update too any day now

Pierre

• Reply 18 of 20
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Pierre

Just from my experience (while in Dell-Hell) I have found that threatening to refuse the shipment at your door will accomplish the goal. Dell wanted to charge me $125 for 3 WEEK shipping on a $400 machine. I told them to either reduce the shipping, or I would refuse it. Mission Accomplished. Of course, this is Apple, and we *never* have to play hardball with *them*, do we?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

I'm typing this on my new Powerbook. I bought it at CompUSA earlier this week. I just couldn't wait any more, so I took the plunge. I really don't see a new model until they get the G5 ready.

Of course I could be wrong and they might come out with a speed bump next week, but as this one is more than twice as fast as my desktop (a dual 500) ~ I am happy with it.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    It is getting really ridiculous on how many threads have been started on this subject. If we put them all together I'd bet it would be up to 10 pages.

I don't think I've seen this many people so interested in a speed bump. Its insance how itchy people are on ordering a Rev B PM.

Every Tuesday we get disappointed. Just tought it out on your new machine until they come... they will come when they come... I doubt someone is going to go... "HEY... I work at apple and we are going to update the G5's march 12th... they will be shipping that day".

Unless someone does that... (the guys at macosrumors.com work at apple and do dates all the time ) ... everything else is speculation. It burns me inside every day I have to wait. I have it worse then most of you. I sold my g4 867 pm in December because I thought they would have been out sooner. So I'm stuck on this POS, spyware infested, generic OS, grey, M$ crap box. Its 2.5ghz with 1gig ram and I still hate it! Window$ sux... end of story. So unless someone wants to trade... any takers didn't think so... wait it out because they will come when they come